Will not start

KEYTAY1
  • 2005 FORD F-150

Truck just quit running and now it will not restart head lights and flashers work, but radio and turn signals do not and will not come out of park.

Saturday, May 13th, 2017 AT 11:09 AM

2CARPROS KEN

I did some checking and it looks like you may have an ignition switch that has gone out, here is a wiring diagram and a guide to help you confirm the problem. See how the radio and turn signals come off of the one terminal?

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-test-light-circuit-tester

This could be why the engine stopped as well.

Please run some tests and get back to us so we can continue helping you.

Cheers, Ken

Tuesday, May 16th, 2017 AT 12:40 PM
ELIWALKER
  • 2005 FORD F-150

2005 Ford F150 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 45000 miles

I have a 2005 f-150 fx4, and it will not start. It started with a funny electrical smell. Then it just stopped running. The only thing that looks to have power is my alarm light flashing. Everything else there is no power at all when I put the key in. Any suggestions? Ever heard of that? Bought a new battery and it didnt do anything.

Wednesday, May 17th, 2017 AT 11:15 AM (Merged)

Inspect and test all the fusible links on the starter relay

WILL REY
  • 2005 FORD F-150

Well I did a scan now that I got a hold of OBD II Scanner and Looks like I have some U codes.

U1950
U1900

Before my truck was not starting up, it was stalling at stops and idle. It would restart just fine then die later at the next stop.

I Cleaned the Throttle Body, MAF, EGR Valve, but nothing stopped the stalling. So I changed the Cam Position Sensor. It did not help the stalling either.

Finally I tried turning it on again, and Its a "Crank No Start" Issue Now.

Checked the Coil Plugs its receiving power, But there is no spark when you turn the key? I am guessing no signal is being sent to fire off the spark plugs, also the cam position sensor wires have no power when I put the test light on it.

What could be my issue here any one with ideas or experience on this?

ELIWALKER

Wouldnt it have lights when you turn the key if it was something with the starter relay?

MHPAUTOS

These are communication error codes for the CAN Bus and UPB Bus often they can be set when system voltages drop below at set threshold, they should clear and not reset, check battery condition and alternator charge rate as well.

WILL REY

Hey sorry for the late reply, You were right I believe it had to do with fire cause.

I decided this morning to look under the truck near the air conditioner compressor is the crankshaft sensor, and the wire plug connector and sensor were so greased up with mud dirt oil etc.

It was not making good connection to the crankshaft sensor. So I cleaned it up a bit, tried to push it back into the socket and that was it the truck started. I appreciate the time I actually watched the video on the "Crank no start" on this site and it helped out also.

2CARPROS RENEE
  • 699 POSTS

Great to hear, please use 2CarpPros anytime we are here to help.

JTAY70
  • 2005 FORD F-150

I replace the starter and battery on my truck, I replaced the battery at the same time. I removed the battery replaced the starter then put the new battery in after. I went to the cab and tried to start it and nothing. I went to the starter solenoid and jumped the power to the signal terminal and the engine started to crank over. I went into the fuse box after this and jumped the power terminals on the plug in and the truck started. I shut off the truck and attempted again with no start again. I then switched the replay out and attempted again with no start. After this I checked the fuse for the ignition and starter replay and the looked fine. It seems like I am not getting power to the switch terminal (85) on the starter relay. I am lost at this point. Any help would be appreciated.

STEVE W.

Check fuses 101(30A) and 102 (20A) for power with a test light. I have had fuses that looked fine that were bad.

Run a security system reset first. Modern vehicles have a bad habit of activating that when they lose battery power. In your case if you look at the wiring diagram, you can see the connection to the PCM. That is how it disables the start circuit. It simply removes the ground from the relay and instantly you have no control of the starter relay. If you can move the shifter, run it through the gear positions and back to park.

As a future reference to a new mechanic. Get a battery jump pack. Connect it up to either the battery connections at the fuse panel or check if a power outlet inside has power with the key off and plug in there. Then change the battery. This is even more important on cars with a lot of programmable features.

STEV022
  • 2005 FORD F-150

I was driving for about 2 hours at around 65mph, got about 3/4 of a tank of fuel, no warning/indicator lights on in the dash cluster, engine running smooth, good oil pressure, alt is charging fine, no odd or out of the ordinary shacking or vibrations, then all of the sudden, as if a person turned the ignition key to the off position, the engine cuts out. I then coast to the side of the road, come to a stop, place the truck in park, and attempt to turn the the truck on again but the engine will not fire nore will it even turn over, not even any clicks/ticks from the starter or from the starter relay solinoid. I noticed when I attempt to turn the ignition key to the on/start position, the ODO goes blank "_ _ _ _ _ _ km". Now, I've attempted to disconnect the negative battery lead and let it sit. As well, I noticed that the negative battery cable was slightly green and corroded so I cleaned it up and reattached the negative cable after waiting a half hour but with no success. I am planning on replacing that cable come payday. Also the truck has not been modified in any way, shape, or form.

Check battery for condition including load test most places do for free. Check items in pic that are pointed out it maybe a fusible link or fuse blown. Also your anti theft may need to be reset due to disconnecting battery

STEV022

Fantastic! Thank you and I will keep you updated as to what I find

STEV022

So, I found a couple blown fuses and replaced them, I then disconnected the battery and let the system drain completely, hooked up another almost new battery, and the truck fired up no problem. I now doscovered it has a miss under acceleration, the park break and ABS light is now on, and now my day time running lights and reverse lights will not turn on. Looks like I'll be busy for the next little while.

MOSIERJHJR64
  • 2005 FORD F-150

I have been checking for a short. On the fuse box I can mess with the plug-in connection on the top Right side looking straight at the fuse box. Some of the time it will start up but mostly it will not do anything. The dash lights will turn on but the ignition will not even make a sound when you try to start it.

There is a tsb on this that requires a different pigtail that may need to be installed. Check with a dealer and see if t hey will cover it but don't be surprised if they don't. The part number is 6U2Z-14S411-NA this may not be the problem but there being a tsb it may

Rescan it fohe abs light it may have a bad sensor. Also the misfire a pro should diagnose as it can be a bunch of tings like a bad sensor, injector as well as vacuum leak and other basic engine problems. Check one of the relays in pic for drl lights. Witch with a like relay.

TONY COX
  • 2005 FORD F-150

Ford f150 Truck! Not a 500 car. 5.4v8 will not start. Terminals are clean and tight on starter and.. Battery.. All power is on except the starter will not engage and showed no signs of any problem with starting before. Just dead, all electronic working full power. Is there a solnoid for the bendix? Where loocated. Is there a circuit breaker or relay to quit without warning?

Check the starter relay at C2163-see below

CREEKLAND
  • 2005 FORD F-150

2005 Ford F150 V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 28000 miles

I was driving down the road the other day at 45 mph when my F-150, 5.4L V-8 Triton, died. No warning lights, no out of normal gauges, etc. I immediately put it into neutral and pulled over. Once on the side of the road and stopped I tried to restart - nothing.

The lights, electric locks/windows, radio, etc. Are working fine. When I turn the key to start the lights do not dim any and I do not even hear the starter trying to do anything. All fuses are OK and the battery is at 12.5V (no corrosion on terminals or connections). Coolant and oil levels are within min./Max. Limits.

After trying to start the console lights for Elec. Throttle Control, Service Engine, and Charging System remain on with the 4x4 Low and 4x4 Hi lights blinking. The mini-message center reads Check Guages.

Of course the warranty expired Oct. '08. Any thoughts or leads I should be following? Thanks.

Wednesday, May 17th, 2017 AT 11:16 AM (Merged)