2003 Ford F-150 F-150 won't Start

FI1268
  • 2003 FORD F-150
2003 Ford F150 Two Wheel Drive Automatic

I have a 2003 F150 that won't start. It makes a clicking sound and headlights are very dim. After I try to start it there is a clicking sound in the dash for a few seconds. I have replaced the starter relay and this did not sove the problem. It appears to be some sort of relay problem but which one?
Friday, December 4th, 2009 AT 12:47 PM

BUDDYCRAIGG
With the head lights being dim, I'm inclined to think of a weak battery, or poor electrical connections.
Friday, December 4th, 2009 AT 6:35 PM
FI1268
Battery is 1 year old and is reading 12.9 volts with a Voltmeter. When I try and start the car the lights go dim and the speedo and tach go crazy + the theft light and seatbelt light flash + I get the clicking sound from one of the relays. Could it be the ignition switch, would that cause the headlights to be dim when I turn them on or could it be the voltage regulator?
Friday, December 4th, 2009 AT 7:19 PM
BUDDYCRAIGG
That all still sounds like a bad battery or a poor connection
-1
Saturday, December 5th, 2009 AT 2:45 AM
FI1268
I have changed the relay and replaced the battery (Advance Auto Parts said battery was bad). It started 1 time and is now back to the clicking sound.
Any suggestions?
Sunday, December 6th, 2009 AT 11:49 AM
BUDDYCRAIGG
Use a volt meter and take readings on the battery cable terminals (NOT THE BATTERY POSTS) while you have a friend crank the engine over.

With the info you have given, it still sounds like the electrical system is not getting enough power.
Monday, December 7th, 2009 AT 12:49 AM
FI1268
I have replaced the starter relay, ignition switch, starter and the battery. Truck now will start, but I have burned up 2 starter motors as the starter motor continues to run after the truck starts. It idles very high when you first start it, so I did not hear the starter motor continuing to turn. Any suggestions? Is there another relay somewhere?
Wednesday, December 9th, 2009 AT 5:48 PM
BUDDYCRAIGG
Was a burnt up starter the cause of your first problem?
+1
Wednesday, December 9th, 2009 AT 6:58 PM
FI1268
I am now assuming that was the problem, even though the vehicle did almost start once. As stated before, I have now relaced the battery, starter relay, ignition switch and starter. What else could make the starter run after the the vehicle starts? I am on my 3rd starter and I can't even start the vehicle to get it to a repair shop, because it will burn up the staarter and I'm afraid of frying other components.
+1
Thursday, December 10th, 2009 AT 7:35 AM
BUDDYCRAIGG
I've only seen 2 causes for a starter to stay engaged against the flywheel after the engine was started.

I once saw on a 1988 91 Dodge Shadow, the ignition lock didn't turn freely and it partially held the switch in between being in the CRANK and ON position.

And I've seen 2 instances on GM V8s (like old school 350s) that the starter was not shimmed correctly.

Fords don't use shims, so i'm leaning towards an ignition switch or lock problem ( or possible something wrong with the linkage between the 2)
Thursday, December 10th, 2009 AT 10:32 PM