2003 Pontiac Grand Am Car Not turning over at all

DEUS4U
  • 2003 PONTIAC GRAND AM
Hello my name is Michael,
I have a sevice engine soon light on and a security light flashing on instrument cluster. When I try to start nothing happens even the starter is not engaging. Is there something I can do myself to repair the problem. I do not really any money to repair the problem but I will have find a way because it is my only car.
Could you be kind enough to give me an estimate on how much it my cost to repair and where to take it?

Thank you so very much!

Michael
Wednesday, January 13th, 2010 AT 11:35 AM

DAVE H
Hello .. thanks for the donation .. much appreciated

start by doing the 10 minute relearn procedure located below.

Vehicle Theft Deterrent (VTD) Description and Operation
Passlock√ System
The Passlock√ System is provided in order to prevent vehicle theft if the ignition lock cylinder is forced to rotate or the ignition switch is operated while separated from the ignition lock cylinder case. If starting is attempted without authorization from the Passlock√ System, the powertrain control module (PCM) will disable the fuel injectors causing the engine to stall immediately after starting.
The components of the Passlock√ System are as follows:
The ignition lock cylinder and key
The ignition lock cylinder case, including the Passlock√ Sensor
The ignition switch
The body control module (BCM)
The security indicator on the instrument cluster
The powertrain control module (PCM)
Ignition Lock Cylinder Case, Including the Passlock√ Sensor
The ignition lock cylinder fits inside the ignition lock cylinder case and operates the ignition switch when turned by a key with the proper mechanical cut. When the ignition key is used to turn the ignition lock cylinder to crank, start, a magnet on the lock cylinder passes close to the Passlock√ Sensor within the ignition lock cylinder case. The magnet activates the Security Hall Effect Sensor in the Passlock√ Sensor which completes a circuit from the security sensor signal circuit through a resistor to the security sensor low reference circuit. The resistance value will vary from vehicle to vehicle.
If a magnet from outside of the ignition lock cylinder case is used to attempt to steal the vehicle, the Tamper Hall Effect Sensor will be activated. This completes a circuit from the security sensor signal circuit through a tamper resistor to the security sensor low reference circuit bypassing the security resistor. If the ignition switch is forced to rotate without the correct key, or if the ignition lock cylinder is removed by force, the Passlock√ Sensor will be damaged and will not operate.
Ignition Switch
The ignition switch contains the wiring and electrical switching portion of the column mounted ignition assembly. The ignition switch includes wiring pigtails which connect it to the base of column connector, the Passlock√ Sensor on the ignition lock cylinder case, and other components. The wiring for the Passlock√ Sensor is unaffected by ignition switch position. The electrical switch portion is operated by the key and lock cylinder when they are rotated within the ignition lock cylinder case. The ignition switch operates the crank relay regardless of the status of the Passlock√ System.
Body Control Module (BCM)
The BCM contains the logic of the theft deterrent system. The BCM provides the battery positive voltage to operate the Passlock√ Sensor. The BCM also measures the voltage of the security sensor signal circuit. The voltage measured will indicate whether the Passlock√ Sensor has been activated and whether the resistance value from the sensor is a valid value or the tamper value. If voltage measured is in the valid range, the BCM compares this voltage, voltage code, to a previously learned voltage code. If the voltage codes match, the BCM sends a class 2 message containing a password to the PCM. If the voltage codes do not match, or the voltage is in the Tamper range, or there is a circuit fault, the BCM will not send the correct password to the PCM, and the vehicle will not start.
Powertrain Control Module
The powertrain control module (PCM) contains the remainder of the logic of the theft deterrent system. If a class 2 message containing a valid password is received from the BCM, the PCM will continue to allow the fuel injectors to operate. The PCM will allow the fuel injectors to operate until it decides there is no valid password coming from the BCM. If the PCM does not receive a class 2 message, or receives a class 2 message with an incorrect password, the engine will crank and will not run or will start and stall immediately.
Theft System Indicator
The IPC illuminates the theft deterrent indicator as determined by the theft deterrent system. The IPC receives a class 2 message from the BCM requesting illumination.
The vehicle theft deterrent (VTD) system requests the IPC to illuminate the indicator only when the ignition switch is ON.
The content theft deterrent (CTD) system requests the IPC to illuminate the indicator only when the ignition switch is in the OFF or ACC positions or during RAP.
The body control module performs the displays test at the start of each ignition cycle. The indicator illuminates for approximately 3 seconds.
Fuel Lockout Cycle
When it receives a password which is incorrect or a password which indicates tamper and the PCM disables the fuel injectors, the fuel injectors remain disabled for 10 minutes even if the ignition switch is turned from the RUN position to the OFF position.
Changing the Passlock√ Components
The following components contain codes or passwords, or must learn codes or passwords for the Passlock√ system to allow the vehicle to start:
The ignition lock cylinder case
BCM
The powertrain control module (PCM)
If any of these parts are replaced, a learn procedure must be performed. Refer to PROGRAMMING THEFT DETERRENT SYSTEM COMPONENTS . If parts are replaced and a learn procedure is not performed, the engine will crank and will not run or will start and stall immediately.
Programming Theft Deterrent System Components
Important: Due to component variability, the vehicle theft deterrent (VTD) system must have the learn procedure performed regardless, if the vehicle starts on the first ignition cycle after a VTD repair.
All codes in the theft deterrent module must be cleared for a relearn.
Important:
The body control module (BCM) must be programmed with the proper RPO configurations before performing learn procedures. Refer to BODY CONTROL MODULE (BCM) PROGRAMMING/RPO CONFIGURATION in Body Control System.
If replacing the BCM with a GM Service Parts Operations (SPO) replacement part, the module will learn Passlock√ sensor data code immediately. The existing PCM however, must learn the new fuel continue password when the BCM is replaced.
If replacing a PCM with a GM Service Parts Operations (SPO) replacement part, after programming, these modules will learn the incoming fuel continue password immediately upon receipt of a password message. Once a password message is received, and a password is learned, a learn procedure must be performed to change this password again. A PCM which has been previously installed in another vehicle will have learned the other vehicle's fuel continue password and will require a learn procedure after programming to learn the current vehicle's password.
Conditions
Use these procedures after replacing:
Passlock√ Sensor
BCM
PCM
********10 Minute Learn Procedure*********
Tools Required:
None

Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
The vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock√ Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.
Important: The vehicle learns the Passlock√ Sensor Data Code and/or password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.
Start the engine. The vehicle has now learned the Passlock√ Sensor Data Code and/or password.
With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed. History DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles.

hope this helps

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_AAA2_966.png

Wednesday, January 13th, 2010 AT 7:58 PM
DEUS4U
Thank very much for the information. Could you please give me a estimated cost to repair the problem and Can I take the car to a repair shop to fix or would you recommend me taking to a dealership.
I have to save as much on the cost to repair as much as I can.

Thank you very much,

Michael
Wednesday, January 13th, 2010 AT 10:04 PM
DAVE H
Hey.

If you do it yourself it will not cost you a penny !! Follow the 4 steps below ... if you do use a repair shop .. print and take this description with you .. most good independant shops will do it for you or at a minimal labor charge .. (it only takes 10 minutes and a few key turns) If you want the shop to check and diagnose the DTC's .. the usual diagnostic fee will apply (around $100)

Tools Required:
None
After the vehicle has been left off for at least 10 minutes !

(1)Turn ON the ignition with the engine OFF.

(2)Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (crank engine, do not turn key back)

Observe the SECURITY telltale (light), after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF. (light will flash/stay on for 10 minutes then go OFF)

(3)Turn OFF the ignition, and wait at least 5 seconds.

(The vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock√ Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.)

(4)Start the engine. The vehicle has now learned the Passlock√ Sensor Data Code and/or password.

(optional)With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed. History DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles.

Hope this helps

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_AAA2_969.png

Thursday, January 14th, 2010 AT 5:53 AM
DEUS4U
Thank you Dave so much! My car had been sitting for two days.I used the simple four steps and Success! I drove away very very Happy. You save me so much time and especial Money. Your the Best!

Michael
Thursday, January 14th, 2010 AT 10:17 AM
JKNOWLES454
I have the same problem with my 99 and I performed the procedure and it works but it keeps doing it every once and a while whenever it feels like it. I ran a scan tool on it and it reads that it says that the password is incorrect but it wont tell what the problem exactly is. I have been told to try a new key. I am not sure what else to try to fix the problem. It is kind of an inconvenience.
Sunday, August 15th, 2010 AT 10:00 AM
BDOGG0070
A new key should help. I had the same problem with my 1992 Pontiac Firebird. Every so often I would put the key in and the security light would stay on. But the relearn thing did not work on mine. So I went and got a new key. It has not failed since then.
Monday, August 16th, 2010 AT 5:23 PM
KERNSGEORGE
Have a 2003 grand am car had crank and power but did not start so looked at fuses under hood. Seemed the module fuse was blow so look for cause. Here is by coil pack cheeked wires and they were bear and touching so I wrapped them with heat shrink each one. Then wrapped with electrical tape. Yes and car started right up. So cheek wires first because can save money. Use a tester for fuses not need to pull each one.
Tuesday, September 27th, 2016 AT 12:33 PM