Transmission stuck in 3rd gear

TYSTERLING19
  • 1998 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
1998 Chevy Silverado V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 241000 km

When I was driving down the highway, my transmission started acting up. The transmission was stuck in 3rd gear when I was in Drive, so when I would start out, it would accelerate slowly until up to speed. So I only had 3rd gear when I was in Drive and in 3rd, and I had only 2nd gear when I was in 2nd and 1st. My torque converter was also not locking up, so when I would coast (let off the throttle) the rpm would drop to idle but stay in 3rd gear and the engine wouldn't hold the truck back. P0740, P0753, and P0758 were the codes coming up. I found out that when range solenoid 1-2, and range solenoid 2-3 are not working, 2nd and 3rd gears are all you can get. I figure it is either a problem with a ground wire or some wire in the harness, and maybe the computer which I hope isn't the problem! My truck did this for half an hour untill I reached my destination, then I checked all my fuses which were good and glanced at wiring harness to the transmission, and never seen anything major. After a while I started up my truck, and test drove it again and the whole problem went away. Please message me back if you have any solutions, thanks.
Tyler
Saturday, April 3rd, 2010 AT 7:48 PM

FACTORYJACK
This sounds like you have corrosion at the main wiring connector please remove the connector and check for rust etc. If that seems okay I would replace the PCM with a used unit to see what happens.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-wiring

Here is the wiring diagrams and PCM location.

Check out the diagrams (Below)

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers
Sunday, April 4th, 2010 AT 11:22 PM
YOYOYOYO
I did the test using the guide and the wiring diagram and I found the PCM to be bad because I have a buddy that has the same truck we took it out of his now the truck works perfect thanks for you help the site rocks water back.
+1
Monday, January 3rd, 2011 AT 7:37 PM
FACTORYJACK
Use 2CarPros anytime, we are here to help. Please tell a friend.

Cheers
Thursday, February 3rd, 2011 AT 5:09 AM