Cranks but not starting

ABREWER00
  • 2006 CADILLAC CTS
Car engine cranks over but won't start. It has 55 psi fuel pressure and has spark at the plugs. It acts like it is trying to start but just wont. I tried spraying a little starting fluid to see if it would hit on that and it didn't. I am pretty sure injectors are pulsing because after cranking for a few seconds you can smell fuel out the exhaust.
Friday, December 5th, 2014 AT 7:10 PM

If it won't start with starting fluid, either you have a timing issue, low compression, or a weak spark. Recheck the spark. See if it is good hot blue snapping spark. If it is, check timing and compression. Here is a guide to help you get the job done.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-test-engine-compression

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers
+3
Friday, December 5th, 2014 AT 9:34 PM
ABREWER00
It had a good hot spark do you think a crankshaft position sensor could cause this problem?
Friday, December 5th, 2014 AT 9:36 PM
Yes, a bad crank sensor can cause this. Recheck the spark and make sure it is good. Here is a guide to help you see what you are in for when doing the job.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/crankshaft-angle-sensor-replacement

Here is the part on Amazon for $31.00 AC DELCO

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NW6XEM/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=2carprcom-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B000NW6XEM&linkId=3769e51bbb06a07f8347725afab2a356

Okay, recheck the spark and let me know what you find. Also, since this vehicle has coil over ignition packs, make sure all cylinders are getting spark and get back to us so we can keep helping you.

Cheers,
+4
Friday, December 5th, 2014 AT 9:39 PM
ABREWER00
Yes there all getting fire but it comes and goes. Weird!
+2
Saturday, December 6th, 2014 AT 6:15 PM
If you have good spark and it still won't start even with starting fluid, either you have a broken timing chain or for some reason there is a major loss of compression.

At this point, I recommend a compression test. If you find cylinders with compression and others with no compression, most likely the chain is broken and you have valves stuck open.
+1
Saturday, December 6th, 2014 AT 6:25 PM
ABREWER00
The engine has compression so I am kind of stumped here. It had two codes a p0121 and p0221 tps sensor. Could a faulty tps cause it not to start, I would think it would just cause erratic rpms and overall rough running but would still start. What's your thoughts?
+3
Saturday, December 6th, 2014 AT 6:28 PM
It could, but it's unlikely. I would think it would have started a couple seconds with starting fluid. That is what is leading me to think the crankshaft sensor is shorting out under load.
+2
Sunday, December 7th, 2014 AT 8:11 PM
ABREWER00
Thanks for your response I should be able to recheck compression tomorrow along with the timing belt. I also am going to verify that I have injector pulse while I am there. Tps sensor doesn't make sense to me either just wanted to let you know what codes were on history of computer.
+3
Sunday, December 7th, 2014 AT 8:27 PM
ABREWER00
Well I had a chance to check compression and it was good numbers on cylinder were 145 155 180 175 150 and 135. I removed drivers side valve cover and checked timing links on chain in reference to cam sprocket and the flat spots on rear of cam that the book said. So I decided to remove front cover and see if it slipped. After I got cover off I lined up crank reference points and noticed the marks lined up.

The camshafts were lined up correctly on top so I proceeded to the other chain on right side and links also in right place and camshafts were in right position. So what I concluded was someone must have put a chain on this car before and timed cams to crank and just replaced the chains. I understand that this will work since a link is a link but it made it very confusing for the next guy which is me to work on. So long story short I still have a no start I can't figure out thanks.
+1
Tuesday, December 9th, 2014 AT 6:30 PM
If you are 100% sure it is correct, my guess is either bad computer or bad crankshaft sensor. Here are some diagrams to help you get the problem fixed. (Below)
+3
Tuesday, December 9th, 2014 AT 7:21 PM
ABREWER00
I was using a Chilton book and all data as references for diagrams. I am pretty sure at this point that timing is correct. I will try the crankshaft sensor, I guess its the only thing left that's easy.
Tuesday, December 9th, 2014 AT 7:49 PM
I have to be honest, I would think it would be the problem becasue the spark comes and goes like the sensor is having a hard time.
Wednesday, December 10th, 2014 AT 5:05 AM
ABREWER00
I have GREAT NEWS! The sensor fixed it, I cant believe it after everything I have been through. :) I love this site
-1
Friday, December 12th, 2014 AT 7:36 PM
Good to hear, please use 2CarPros anytime we are here to help.

Cheers
Saturday, December 13th, 2014 AT 5:40 PM
ABREWER00
Thanks again!
Saturday, December 13th, 2014 AT 5:47 PM
ABREWER00
Where can I send a Donation to help this site?
Saturday, December 13th, 2014 AT 5:51 PM