Not starting

FLYEYES
  • 2003 CADILLAC CTS
Hello, I put key in the ignition switch and turn all the way to the other end to start. The engine does not start, it sounds like its trying and the ignition switch seems to hang in the position that is all the way to the end. I have to manually pull it back and it stops trying to start. It takes a few times but it started the other day. This started happening the other day, it seemed to delay on the start up like it was hanging in the start up position and now I have to try to start it multiple times. Do you think it might be the starter or the key ignition switch?
Tuesday, July 4th, 2017 AT 9:43 AM

KEN

This sounds lie the battery is getting weak. Here is a test to confirm.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-battery-load-test

Please run this test and get back to us we are interested to see what it is.

Cheers, Ken
Wednesday, July 5th, 2017 AT 4:36 PM
FLYEYES
It was crank shaft sensor
Tuesday, September 26th, 2017 AT 6:04 AM
KEN
Nice work, we are here to help, please use 2CarPros anytime.

Cheers, Ken
Tuesday, September 26th, 2017 AT 10:29 AM
SBANKS
I have a 2003 Cadillac cts and I got the muffler fix and then my car start not want to crank I have bought new starter what I thought it was and it still want crank I took it to the shop they thought it was the safety switch I replace that and it still doesn't work please help any suggestions of what could be wrong now am being told that I might have a electrical problem
Saturday, December 15th, 2018 AT 1:34 PM
KEN
Please post your new question here, you must be logged in.

https://www.2carpros.com/questions/new

Cheers, Ken

Sunday, December 16th, 2018 AT 9:38 AM
AMBER KIMBLER
  • 2003 CADILLAC CTS
The engine tries to start and turns over, but it will not start. It was running then it stopped and would not start again.
Sunday, December 16th, 2018 AT 9:39 AM (Merged)
Try resetting security system if not that check fuel pressure with a gauge. see picture for security reset.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-reset-a-security-system

Cheers,
RENEE
Here is a link to an informative article from this site with step by step instructions and photographs on what to check for when your vehicle will not start.

Thank you for visiting 2CarPros,com

INDYGAL724
  • 2003 CADILLAC CTS
Replaced MAF sensor 1 week ago because that code came up on scan tool. Ran fine for 1 week and then it wouldn't start again. Car won't start except when I use starting fluid, then after it burns off the starting fluid it runs normal. Sometimes it starts normal with no problem and then it's back to needing starting fluid once again? Thanks
Sunday, December 16th, 2018 AT 9:40 AM (Merged)
Check the fuel pressure if its within specs if okay check for injection pulses.
-1
RANNNIK
  • 2003 CADILLAC CTS
My car has not give me any trouble at all when you start it. The battery shows 14% good but it wilol not start. My car just came out of the shop for repairs after hitting a deer just less than a week ago and has not been driven more than 3 days. The last time it was drove the car gave NO problem, but now will not start.
The battery is weak-get it charged-up to 12.8 volts and try again, Something is telling me you have a short circuit eating the battery up. Have it checked
-1
GZIEBART
  • 2003 CADILLAC CTS
I have a cts and once and awhile it will not start the starter cranks but will not start I will play with it for about a half hour then all of a sudden it starts I took it to a dealer and they said they coud' nt find any thing wrong. The next day it would do it again. A friend of mine said he though it was the fule presure regulater if you agree where is it located
RICKY805
  • 2003 CADILLAC CTS
I ran out of gas, I put 2 to 3 gallons later that day but my 2003 Cadillac cts still won't start. It cranks but it still won't start, my brother in law tried starting fluid but it still didn't start. He said dat it's not the fuel pump, so what can it be?
WRENCHTECH
All "crank, no start" conditions are approached in the same way. Every engine requires certain functions to be able to run. Some of these functions rely on specific components to work and some components are part of more than one function so it is important to see the whole picture to be able to conclude anything about what may have failed. Also, these functions can ONLY be tested during the failure. Any other time and they will simply test good because the problem isn't present at the moment.
If you approach this in any other way, you are merely guessing and that only serves to replace unnecessary parts and wastes money.

Every engine requires spark, fuel and compression to run. That's what we have to look for.

These are the basics that need to be tested and will give us the info required to isolate a cause.

1) Test for spark at the plug end of the wire using a spark tester. If none found, check for power supply on the + terminal of the coil with the key on.

2) Test for injector pulse using a small bulb called a noid light. If none found, check for power supply at one side of the injector with the key on.

3) Use a fuel pressure gauge to test for correct fuel pressure, also noticing if the pressure holds when key is shut off.

4) If all of these things check good, then you would need to do a complete compression test.

Once you have determined which of these functions has dropped out,
you will know which system is having the problem.
+1
PCKITTY8511
  • 2003 CADILLAC CTS
  • RWD
I replaced my car is a new battery and a new alternator and how to mechanic look at it also and I cannot figure out how come my car will not turn over and stay started when we jump it is they started barely if I don't stop the car could it be something to do with the fuses maybe
PCKITTY8511
With a new battery, and had a mechanic look at it, stays started barely if I don't stop the car could it have something to do with my fuses
Try resetting security system then have battery tested including load test most places do for free. There is also a fusible link going to alternator that may have burnt out as well. See pic, however it may be a serial 2 data problem which a scanner needs to be hooked up. Also it may be a draw on battery when car is off as well.
+1
PCKITTY8511
Thank you for your help, I did take it to my mechanic who confirmed it was the fusible link that blew it was a 200 amp fuse which are not very easy to just pick up at Store even after that the Fixx of that is still has the problems so I will go ahead and take your second advice and have the code read off the computer and will update you
CWDEISEL
  • 2003 CADILLAC CTS
My cts starts fine in the morning but if I drive it and shut it off it won't start before sitting a couple of hrs.
Sunday, December 16th, 2018 AT 9:41 AM (Merged)