A/C not working

BONES99
  • 2003 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Has no power to compressor has ground, new relay, fuse is good and also has no power to pressure switch, but has power to cycling switch. I have checked all of GM tech bulletins. Have installed new dual climate control panel. My panel has a red slash mark through the A/C snow flake symbol on control panel.
Tuesday, July 23rd, 2013 AT 8:45 AM

FREEMBA
Check the ignition E fuse (10A).

Are you cetain that the system has enough refrigerant in it?

There is also a low pressure switch on the line going into the evaporator. If it is faulty or senses low presssure the compressor will not be allowed to come on.

That little snowflake that has the cross in it to show when the A/C has been turned off. The replacement control heads snowflake does not have the cross in it and actually needs to be lit up now to show that the A/C has been turned on. I think the only year for the snowflake with the red slash was 2003.

Also,

Testing compressor clutch/wiring:
Key on engine off, Jump the A/C clutch relay from pin 30 to pin 87, Compressor clutch should "click". If no click, check for power at the green wire at the compressor. Check the black wire for ground.

Testing low pressure switch:
With the truck running, A/C turned on. Check the dark blue wire at the low pressure switch for five volts with the switch Disconnected. Check for ground on the black wire. With the switch plugged in both wires should show ground. If the blue wire still shows five volts. Your low on Freon or the low pressure switch is bad.

Testing high pressure switch
1. With key on, disconnect the A/C pressure sensor and check for five volts on the gray wire. Check for ground on the black wire.

2. If missing either circuit, check a few inches back from the connector and see if voltage or ground is present there.

3. If the above checks are okay, then plug the sensor back in and probe the red/black wire of the sensor and see what voltage is coming from the sensor. With static A/C pressure voltage should be 0.8-1.0 volts.

Information:

On 2003 model year vehicles, a snowflake with a slash through it is shown on the display when the A/C has been turned off (by a press of the A/C button). The A/C can be turned on by pressing the "auto" button or pressing the A/C button again. This will remove the indicator from the display.

Owners of 2003's may comment about poor A/C performance after they have pressed the A/C button and see what appears to be the snowflake illuminated on the display. What has actually happened, though, is that they have disabled the operation of the A/C compressor and the snowflake symbol, upon closer inspection, has a slash through it.

Here is the AC and compression wiring diagrams so you can see how the system works with a guide to help you test the circuits.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-wiring

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know what you find. We are interested to see what it is.
+19
Tuesday, July 23rd, 2013 AT 9:59 AM
ADAMDELLACROCE
How can I add Freon if the compressor will not come on when I am jumping with the paperclip on 2003,1500.
+6
Thursday, May 12th, 2016 AT 2:50 PM
KEN
Here is a guide to help you recharge the system:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/air-conditioner-how-to-add-freon

Please run down this guide and report back.
-1
Tuesday, March 12th, 2019 AT 12:50 PM
MCDUFFS
  • 2000 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
A/C stop cooling, noticed compressor not cycling, sounds like the clutch will not engage or disengage.
Just thought it was low on gas. Hooked up bottle to the low side the gauge pegged out.
Does this mean my compressor needs replacing? Or something else?
-1
Wednesday, March 13th, 2019 AT 10:04 AM (Merged)
DOCFIXIT
First is clutch engaging Ie. Does it spin? If yes will need high side reading but if low was HIGH then suspect compressor failure.
-1
MCDUFFS
I had to get a new compressor this guide helped me.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/replace-air-conditioner-compressor
RONSRACIN
  • 2004 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I started my truck and let it warm up to temp. It never blew warm air I ran it at a high rpm for a bit and it got hot like normal when I let it idle it went cold again and the temp was still turned all the way hot. Help me
+1
Are you sure the coolant level is full?

Let me know.

-1
HODAD123
  • 2001 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I have no cool air when air condition is tured on, I turn the switch on and the light turns on, but the compressor is not coming on, the a/c was working last summer. I have heat and the temp guage is normal.
+1
Wednesday, March 13th, 2019 AT 10:05 AM (Merged)
SERVICE WRITER
Either the system is out of freon possiblily from a leak or there is an electrical malfunction not allowing the compressor engagement.

Gauges need to be hooked up to find what the pressure readings are to start finding out what is going on inside of it.
-1
JBARRETT01238
  • 2002 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
After running the AC in hot weather, when the truck is shut off for a short period of time the AC will not blow cold air. If the truck is off for an extended period of time it will work again. It appears that during the short shut off period the clutch on the compressor does not engage when the engine is restarted. Is there some sort of thermo cut off in compressor clutch that heats up while it sits for a short time (with the engine hot)? Or some other issue?
IMPALASS
Hello

I think I know what the problem is but need just a little more info. Lord willing it is simple. I do need more info on the truck model. Is it a 1500, 2500 or what? Also, V8, there are several, please let me know what size it is and provide the 8th letter in the VIN.

Right off without the above information it sounds like your condenser cooling fan isn't moving. But again, I need to know your exact vehicle to let you know.

Also, please go to Auto Zone or O'Reilly's and for free they can pull the codes to the car. Most important. Once they check your codes, if they find something and you don't get it fixed and need to get back with us, please make sure you tell us exactly what the code was, number and all. Example, if the code was E0568 O2 Sensor bad. Then make sure you give us all of that. While there for free also they can bring their tester out and check your battery, alternator and starter just because it is free and you are there.

Please get back with me with the above information so we can do a couple of quick checks.

THEON Q. KENT
I have a 1996 Chevy Silverado. The compressor is good and the pressure switches are new. They A/C works if I connect a hot wire to it but it constantly kills my battery. The problem with my A/C is that the control panel keeps burning out I put a new control panel in there and it s like the Air works for a split second it then smells like something is burning and then the air goes out and nothing works. I bought 3 controls panels and this happened back to back basically I wasted nearly $300 and the problem is not fixed.
Sunday, December 22nd, 2019 AT 9:09 PM
STEVE W.
That sounds like you have a short in the wiring if it is burning out the control panel. However to tell where the short is you would need to do some testing inside the control panel to see what is burning out and what it controls. Does it work OK for heat, blower, until you select AC or does it burn out regardless? Which engine do you have, that might eliminate some of the possibilities? I attached the wiring diagram but it may not help much as it has a few extras depending on the engine. Your description sounds like a short in the wiring to the compressor control relay but without knowing what is burning out on the controller it's a stab in the dark.
Wednesday, December 25th, 2019 AT 5:21 AM

Sponsored links