Ran perfect, parked turned off key, suddenly without warning it will crank but not start?

BYSTANDER
  • 1994 FORD RANGER
The engine has never failed to start. After attempting to activate fuel pump to drain tank for evap system repair, suddenly with no warning, it refused to start. Checked secondary system with spark tester, there was no spark.
Wednesday, October 2nd, 2019 AT 10:47 PM

KEN

Lets check fuses #34 and 19 with the PCM power relay. Here are guides to help you with the engine wiring diagrams below so you can see how the system works as well as the fuse and relay locations:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-a-car-fuse

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-an-electrical-relay-and-wiring-control-circuit

This can help as well:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Check out the diagrams (below). Please run some tests and get back to us. Check out the diagrams (below). Please let us know what you find. We are interested to see what it is.
Friday, October 4th, 2019 AT 1:57 PM
BYSTANDER
Wow! I'm impressed with the response--thank you. The information was excellent, but it applies to an OBD2 system. This, of course, is a 1994 truck; OBD1 --quite a bit different. Might you be able to send the same set for the 1994? Even the fuse box layouts are very different. It would be most appreciated since I don't even have an owner's manual. As soon as I can complete the Evap system repairs, I'll be ready to work on the no start problem.
Again---thank you so much for your willingness to help.
Thursday, October 10th, 2019 AT 8:56 PM
MASTERWRENCH

Just thought I'd jump in here. I know you said you currently have no spark, however I'm curious about the other evap system repairs you mentioned. In your initial post, you indicated the engine started and ran fine prior to activating the fuel pump to drain the system for an evap repair. Can you elaborate?
+1
Monday, October 14th, 2019 AT 3:54 PM
BYSTANDER
Masterwrench:
I should have said that a little differently: This situation began when I discovered there was a failure to hold pressure somewhere in the EVAP system---( It turned out to be a failed filler neck hose thanks to California continually reformulating the gas, disregarding rubber compatibility of fuel system parts.) Thanks EPA, thanks carburetor!
Draining the fuel tank was done in case it needed to come out for cleaning.
Up to that point, anytime the engine needed to be running for any reason it never failed to start the entire time it has lived here. When the no start happened, relays checked okay, but spark was a no show. That triggered my mayday.
There may be a clue, the jumper technique used to pump out the fuel didn't work as advertised with key on, fuel pump relay jumpered it would pump for 2-4 seconds then stop instead of continuing to run. Didn't seem right, so turned to good ole' siphon hose which did the job, but still no spark. So, that job's done. Everything seems okay. So, did I miss something? Did I burn something out? I have a feeling it'll be something really embarrassing! Hope not.
Sunday, October 20th, 2019 AT 5:49 PM
MASTERWRENCH
Bystander,

Okay, that makes sense. From the sounds of it, since your jumper didn't give you the desired results (running the fuel pump), my guess is whatever you jumped somehow caused the current condition. I would start by checking the power supply to the ignition control module and the coil (see attached diagrams). On the ignition control module, check pin 8 (red wire) with the key in Run or Start. You should see battery voltage here. Also, check the red/light green wire at the ignition coil. This circuit should also have battery voltage with the key in Run or Start.
Monday, October 21st, 2019 AT 7:16 PM
DEWAYNEJ
  • 1994 FORD RANGER
About 1 out of 50 times, my truck won't start. Naturally when I take it to the mechanic it always starts perfectly. There are no error codes. It runs great. Just won't start sometimes.
Friday, August 14th, 2020 AT 9:40 AM (Merged)
2CEXPT
If its cranking and refusing to start do below to determine if its fuel or ignition problem and then report back with results

Get a carb cleaner and spray into the carb or the throttle body on an EFI. Did it start and die? If not disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors-
-1
DEWAYNEJ
Hi Rasmataz: Thanks for the info but the truck is starting fine now. I will try your suggestions next time it doesn't start.
1994RANGER
  • 1994 FORD RANGER
I have a 1994 ford ranger 4.0 4x4 6 cyl and it dont want to start sometimes I replaced fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel pump relay switch, crankshaft posistioning sensor, coil pack, and I still cant find out why it wont start it will crank over and act like it wants to start but when I rev it up it sounds like its missing and not getting fuel but I have no idea what it could be if I leave it sit for a while it will usually fire up.I dont know what to do anymore
2CEXPT
Lets do below for a start to determine if its fuel or spark related issue and get back with some results

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, cap and rotor, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it
EVERSOJOURN
  • 1994 FORD RANGER
Hi all, wondering if anyone can figure out what this is. I am turning my key over in the ignition. I hear it turning over but the engine won't start. Once in awhile it will give a buck like its about to start but that will be it. Any thoughts? Cheers.
BOOTDOG
It could be a number of things. The thing you need to check is if the motor is getting enough fuel, spark and air. Something simple as a restricted air filter could be a problem, a bad fuel pump or clogged fuel filter, fouled spark plugs, ignition module, etc. The thing you need to do is find out is, if it's fuel, spark, or air related. Lets us know.
P21208
  • 1994 FORD RANGER
After driving for some time and stopping if the engine does not have nearly 40 minutes to cool the engine wont start every time. It cranks fine but acts like it is not firing. I thought that maybe it was a fuel problem so one time when it would not start I sprayed starter fluid right into the intake. Still did not fire. However once the engine cools it starts just fine. Any ideas?
-1
MERLIN2021
When it wont startdo a spark test, could be a weak coil. Use a wired starter button, turning the key to on will activate fuel system...Start with the basics, and work your way up, Last tune up was? Wires plugs ALL filters? If all that is ok, check for a stuck EGR, then test fuel pump pressure, If it won't restart, determine what's missing, the engine needs three things to run, Spark at all plugs, gas to all cylinders, and compression in all cylinders, tho an engine may run lacking one in one cylinder, it won't run very well!
https://www.2carpros.com/car_repair_video/test_fuel_injection_pressure.htm
Go here and checkout our video.
https://www.2carpros.com/car_repair_video/test_engine_ignition_system.htm
and this one!
N22642
  • 1994 FORD RANGER
I check all fuses replace the distributor, ignition coil and ignition module but wont start.
WRENCHER1
All "crank, no start" conditions are approached in the same way. Every engine requires certain functions to be able to run. Some of these functions rely on specific components to work and some components are part of more than one function so it is important to see the whole picture to be able to conclude anything about what may have failed. Also, these functions can ONLY be tested during the failure. Any other time and they will simply test good because the problem isn't present at the moment.
If you approach this in any other way, you are merely guessing and that only serves to replace unnecessary parts and wastes money.

Every engine requires spark, fuel and compression to run. That's what we have to look for.

These are the basics that need to be tested and will give us the info required to isolate a cause.

1) Test for spark at the plug end of the wire using a spark tester. If none found, check for power supply on the + terminal of the coil with the key on.

2) Test for injector pulse using a small bulb called a noid light. If none found, check for power supply at one side of the injector with the key on.

3) Use a fuel pressure gauge to test for correct fuel pressure, also noticing if the pressure holds when key is shut off.

4) If all of these things check good, then you would need to do a complete compression test.

Once you have determined which of these functions has dropped out,
you will know which system is having the problem.
+2
PLANECRAZY84
  • 1994 FORD RANGER
My ranger won't start if you stall it while taking off from a stop it will start by jump starting or sometimes by craking the daylights out of it. This the only time it bothers the rest of the time it's perfectly reliable.
Friday, August 14th, 2020 AT 9:41 AM (Merged)
MHPAUTOS
Just start with a scan, let me know if any code show up, not all codes will set a MIL, I will first have a think and look over engine management system to see if anything pops out as a potential problem.

MARK (MHPAUTOS)
CINKYBINKY
  • 1994 FORD RANGER
94 Ranger 6cyl, 4 liter : Engine runs smooth but will not always RESTART after I have had it running doing multiple errands. I can hear the hum of the fuel line from the fuel tank, when I turn the key, but it only will crank. It sometimes will restart after sitting for about 20 to 30 minutes. I have also tapped on the fuel tank with a board and sometimes that will work. The fuel pump and fuel filter have been replaced by a mechanic, but I am still have the same problem? Do I possibily have a Bad Fuel Pump? Thank you for your help!
BMRFIXIT
Its all assumed until you check
next time it happens need to check fuel pressure and check for spark too
if no or low fuel replace fuel pump

Sponsored links