1994 FORD RANGER FUEL IS NOT REACHING CYLINDERS

• Deb74
  • 1994 FORD RANGER

I have a 94 ranger xlt with the 2.3l in it I have fuel spraying out of the shrader valve on the fuel rail and both wires on the injectors have power with key on. When attempting to start with test light probed in wires the light is not flashing. The truck will not start and died on the side of the road. I have not been able to get it started since. I can get it to crank with starting fluid. I have checked the relay and icm both are fuctioning properly. Kinda stumped on this

Saturday, August 2nd, 2014 AT 12:38 PM

• JDL

Just to add, checking for voltage at the two injector wires, key on, isn't valid. The computer won't ground the injectors without rpm signal. The engine has to be cranking in order to get rpm signal.

Are you saying the engine will start and run with starter fluid?

If you stay on the same post, I'll know if your asking another question? If you make a new post, I won't know. If you had rather talk to somebody else, that's fine too.

Saturday, August 2nd, 2014 AT 3:13 PM
  • Deb74

No I can get the engine to start on starting fluid while starting big with the assistance of the Starting fluid the fuel injectors are not pulsing with my test light. I had my icm tested and it comes out fine.

Saturday, August 2nd, 2014 AT 6:23 PM
  • JDL

How did you check for an injector pulse, use a noid light? There is no ground with key on. The engine has to be cranking when you test. The ground is controlled by your computer which pulses the ground on and off.

When there is no ground, there will be voltage on both wires at the injector.

Did you check proper fuel pressure?

Sunday, August 3rd, 2014 AT 8:56 AM
  • Deb74

I checked the voltage with a light tester. I don't have an noid light. I was cranking the engine while I had the test light probed in the injector. The engine will start when I spray it with starting fluid. I checked the relays in the power distribution box under the hood as well as under the dash fuse box. I don't have access to a fuel pressure gauge but when I push the shrader valve down on the fuel rail I have a strong spray that sprays up.

Sunday, August 3rd, 2014 AT 9:05 AM
  • JDL

Can you check for applicable trouble codes? The datalink connector should be either under the hood close to fuse box, or under the dash. Note the diagram. The top jumper may get the mil on the dash to flash, mil lamp, you count the flashes to get the codes, either two digit or three digit codes. Key on, no crank.

The bottom part of picture shows how to use testlight to flash codes, you would still have to hook up the upper jumper wire.

Sunday, August 3rd, 2014 AT 12:34 PM
  • Deb74

Ok so I hook the jumper wire and my test light up like the diagram shows and with the key off the light comes on but when I turn the key on the light goes off and does not flash at all

Sunday, August 3rd, 2014 AT 1:26 PM
  • JDL

If you just use the upper jumper and no test light, does the mil on the dash start flashing, with key on? If not, I'm stumped, maybe a problem with computer?

I just can't see much from here?

Sunday, August 3rd, 2014 AT 2:03 PM
  • Deb74

No my check engine light doesn't work at all on the truck and I already had the computer checked and it's fine any ideals on the fuel interia switch cuz I had to bypass that in order to get the fuel pump to come on but it's running constantly with the key on not just for a few seconds to prime the engine?

Sunday, August 3rd, 2014 AT 3:05 PM
  • Deb74

Also the fuel interia switch has no power to it unless the button is tripped I manually reset it an then it has no power when I reset it

Sunday, August 3rd, 2014 AT 3:14 PM
  • JDL

The inertia switch gets voltage from the fuel pump relay.

Monday, August 4th, 2014 AT 7:05 AM