1995 Chevy Silverado AC Stopped blowing cool air.

RCUPS
  • 1995 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I have a 95 Chevy Z71 that stopped blowing cool air when using the AC. It just blows warm air that has not been cooled. I noticed the AC compressor does not appear to be engaging when the AC is switched on. I have checked all the fuses and they appear to be good. What could be going on here? Sould like an electrical problem of some sort.
Thursday, August 5th, 2010 AT 1:57 PM

It could be a few electrical components, AC clutch, cycle switch. It could also have lost freon. If it is too low, the compressor won't turn on. What I would start with is this. Start the engine and turn the AC on. Disconnect the wire going to the compressor clutch and see if there is any power to it. If there is, the clutch is bad. If there is no power, then I recommend having the freon pressure tested.

Let me know what you find.

-1
Thursday, August 5th, 2010 AT 10:55 PM
RCUPS
Joe, Thanks for the advice. I tested the wires going the the compressor clutch and sure enough there was no juice getting that far. Just as I was getting ready to take it to a shop, I looked under the hood and discovered that the switch connection back by the condensor(against the firewall) was disconnected I plugged it back in and the AC cranked right up when I turned it on. It was weird how this connector could have come off because no one had been under the hood to loosen it and it has a little click style keeper to keep it attached. At least it is working now. Thanks again, Rodger.
+1
Monday, August 9th, 2010 AT 6:01 PM
Great! I'm glad it's fixed. A shop would have charged you at least a hundred dollars and not found the problem. Good job!

In the future, let us know if you have questions, and thanks for using 2carpros. Com.

+2
Tuesday, August 10th, 2010 AT 10:07 PM