2003 Hyundai Santa Fe intermittant start up issues

DARWINSTI
  • 2003 HYUNDAI SANTA FE
It picks and chooses. Sometimes it turns over and I have no issues, sometimes all I get is the dash lights and door buzzer as if nothing is wrong and then I go to turn the key the final turn to actually turn the motor to start, and. Nothing but a few click sounds under the glove box? Its puzzling me. Ive had many vehicles with many issues, and usually I would check the relay, but thats under the hood, and I hear clicking under my glove box?
Any help is greatly appreciated as I had put it for sale this week and now this pops up. I have to get it fixed asap before I sell it.
Wednesday, April 2nd, 2014 AT 3:12 PM

Check battery for condition including load test first. Then check for a bad starter.
Thursday, April 3rd, 2014 AT 5:58 AM
DARWINSTI
Um, it isn't the battery as it has a full charge, im thinking its the ignition as it works when it wants to?
Thursday, April 3rd, 2014 AT 7:05 AM
Well if you don't know the condition of the battery to begin with it can cause a problem as well as a starter relay going bad or corrosion on the prongs as well as a starter or even dirty battery cables but if you think you know what the problem is then go ahead and replace parts that don't need it. We just offer our suggestions.
Thursday, April 3rd, 2014 AT 7:45 AM
DARWINSTI
I know when the battery is not giving a full charge, that is what I was implying. My question is, "could there be" an issue with the ignition switch itself as it works when it wants to? I'm sorry if I came off as "knowing" something I obviously don't. Being a female I'm not totally literate when it comes to cars but I'm not completely stupid either.
Thursday, April 3rd, 2014 AT 10:01 AM
Intermittent issues are hard to diagnose. That is why a battery should be checked for condition even if it is charging. The battery may take and hold a charge but does not have enough amperage to let a car start when it needs to that is why a load test is done. Also the starter needs to be checked to see if it is drawing to many amps, meaning it s taking to much power to get the starter to turn over if it even does. These checks can be easily done by a pro and even then due to an intermittent may still not give a good diagnosis. I had the same thing happen to my truck everything tested well but would occasionally not start when it was tested by me with an assistant all the stuff was right still wouldn't turn over. Hitting the starter on the body of the starter did the trick, hence a new/rebuilt starter was needed because we don't know the gender on here and someone seems to sound like they know what the problem is is why you received an answer like I gave. Unfortunately it happens way to much and people go on their merry way and dump all kinds of money into a vehicle that isn't needed. That is why we have people get this or that tested as it may be the problem. Most batteries have a lifespan of about 4 yrs after that it's on borrowed time. Auto parts test batteries for free as well as tire stores. We never know the gender of people unless they actually state it. Just a screen name. Sorry for the offense
Thursday, April 3rd, 2014 AT 12:10 PM