Not cranking over

ANTHONYR723
  • 2003 HYUNDAI SANTA FE
My car all of a sudden wont start. Its not the battery or cables those are fine. When I go to start the car, there is nothing except maybe a faint humming noise. I am not sure if it is the starter, ignition switch, or the neutral safety. I tried putting the car in neutral and starting the car but that didnt work either. Can I diagnose whether the starter is the culprit without removing it? Is it more likely the ignition switch? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

When I turn the headlights on and then try starting the car, the lights dim way down and then when I release the key the go bright again. Actually, this while issue started after I changed the bulb in the front headlight. It could be a coincidence but thought I'd mention it. Also, if this helps, the car has been sitting for about a month since driving.

Thanks.

Anthony
Friday, October 9th, 2015 AT 4:04 PM

KEN
This sounds like a classic battery that has gone flat which will cause the problem you are describing. To be sure please follow these two guides so we can get the problem fixed.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-battery-load-test

and if bad

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-a-car-battery

Please let us know what you find.

Cheers, Ken
Wednesday, September 27th, 2017 AT 4:01 PM
D4NOTCHCAMPERS
  • 2001 HYUNDAI SANTA FE
2001 Hyundai Santa Fe 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 90000 miles

I hit a dog and had no damage to my car Hyundai Santa Fe, but the car will not crank. The air bags did not deploy. When I turn on the key it just goes yuh yuh yuh yuh. It never turns over. Is their a safety or kill switch of some sort after having an accident that won't allow it to crank? Or is this a timing issue?
Wednesday, September 27th, 2017 AT 4:02 PM (Merged)
When I turn on the key it just goes yuh yuh yuh yuh. It never turns over-do you mean it cranks over and refuses to start if so do below

If the engine's condition is in tip top shape-do below to determine if its fuel or spark problem that's if its cranking over and refuses to start

Get a carb cleaner and spray into the carb or the throttle body on an EFI. Did it start and die? If not disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors-

If both fuel and spark is present-check the valve and ignition timing, this will lead you to problems with compression and valves opening and closing at the wrong time