Cruise Control Problem on 2000 Buick Lesabre Custom

SGT1205
  • 2000 BUICK LESABRE
Cruise control button on steering wheel stays illuminated constantly (in off mode it has a dim illumination or sometimes flashes rapidly). The "CRUISE" indicator on the dash does not light (except for the startup process, and goes out with all other dash indications). I have power up to the module, and the ground at the module tests good. Now I have replaced the switch (to no avail) and I got a used CC Module at a used parts place, switched it out and it still did not work. The speedometer works just fine, so I'm thinking the VSS is alright. I'm out of ideas. What else?
Friday, October 28th, 2011 AT 3:18 AM

RIVERMIKERAT
Will the CC activate properly? The light on the wheel staying lit may be due to a short to or from the light and/or switch.
-1
Friday, October 28th, 2011 AT 3:31 AM
SGT1205
No the Cruise Control will not work at all, and the "cruise" indication on the dash will not illuminate. Interestingly, when I disconnect the harness from the module, the light on the steering wheel switch begins to work normally (Light completly out on off, and light on when pushed on).
-1
Friday, October 28th, 2011 AT 3:44 AM
RIVERMIKERAT
Ok. Here's the schematic for the cruise control system. You have a short somewhere. Download the file and change the extension to pdf as it's an Acrobat file.
-1
Friday, October 28th, 2011 AT 4:07 AM
SGT1205
I've been working with a diagram. To date all wires have continuity and power from switch to module. Transmission was just re-installed due to a rebuild. The speedo works correctly, thus leading me to believe the VSS is alright. I tried another module, and steering wheel switches and nothing seems to be working. The on/off switch glows all the time, except when it's in the off position it has a faint glow or flicker. The "CRUISE" indicator on the dash only lights on startup as it should be goes off and will not light at any other time. Since I bought a used module, Ive wondered if that had the same problem and was not a good unit. I've seen this same problem described in a number of different Google searches, but never a solution/repair.
Friday, October 28th, 2011 AT 6:42 PM
RIVERMIKERAT
It's possible both modules have the same problem. Have you checked any relays in the circuit?
Sunday, October 30th, 2011 AT 5:29 AM