CAR JERKS REALLY BAD WHEN REACHING BETWEEN 50 AND 60 MPH AFTER REPAIRS

1997 Toyota Corolla

rasbajan

April, 24, 2012 AT 2:42 AM

My car wasn't starting and I had the distributor, spark plugs and wires replaced, I got the car back but in less than a week the car suddenly started shutting off when the car was idled. I took the car back to the mechanic who diagnosed the car and replaced the following parts: cat converter, exhaust manifold, amp sensor, coolant sensor, thermostat, thermostat gasket, crankshaft sensor and fuel filter. The engine light was on for almost six months before I took the car to the mechanic. The car is now jerking really badly when I reach between 50 and 60 mph, if I take my foot off the gas there is no jerking, it only happens when my foot is on the gas. Thanks.

rasbajan

April, 24, 2012 AT 3:19 AM

I forgot to add one thing which is the car makes a thump noise when this happens and I can feel it when my foot is on the gas pedal.

fixitmr

April, 24, 2012 AT 3:37 AM

Is CEL on?

fixitmr

April, 24, 2012 AT 4:21 AM

Is the jerk rythmic or random?

rasbajan

April, 24, 2012 AT 1:08 PM

The jerk feels like a hiccup and feels like the car is lunging forward. I drove the car this morning and could feel this "hiccup" when doing only 30 mph, but when reaching 50 mph it is louder and I can hear like a thump and feel it, when I take my foot off the gas it goes away. The jerk is more like boom boom boom, there is a pause after every boom.

fixitmr

April, 26, 2012 AT 8:16 PM

What about cap and rotor? Were they new? Lots of misfires are due to cap/rotor defects/moisture.

djcl

April, 26, 2012 AT 8:36 PM

Whan @ idle try misting watter from a spray bottle over the ignition system. Dist cap and wires. See if this makes it run poor. If so I would start thinking ignition wires even if thay are new, dist cap / rotor and coil. Have the wires checked well. Thay are known to do this. Around the boots. Look for burn marks. I also think you may want to bring this back to the person that did all that work. Arter changing all the parts I would think this car should run well.

rasbajan

May, 3, 2012 AT 1:51 PM

I took my car back to the mechanic who claimed my car was jerking on acceleration due to poor gas, when I got it from him I din't drove much so I couldn't tell if the car was fixed. I drove the car the next day and the jerking was still there. I'm taking it back one more time and if not corrected I'll go to a Toyota repair shop.
I'm not a mechanic but work in IT and know that if a problem pops up after working on a computer, it might be due to the last thing done on the computer.

fixitmr

May, 4, 2012 AT 2:08 AM

Try disconnecting your EGR and see if that solves it.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz