Car jerks really bad when reaching between 50 and 60 mph after repairs

RASBAJAN
  • 1997 TOYOTA COROLLA
My car was not starting and I had the distributor, spark plugs and wires replaced, I got the car back but in less than a week the car suddenly started shutting off when the car was idled. I took the car back to the mechanic who diagnosed the car and replaced the following parts: catalytic converter, exhaust manifold, amp sensor, coolant sensor, thermostat, thermostat gasket, crankshaft sensor and fuel filter. The engine light was on for almost six months before I took the car to the mechanic. The car is now jerking really badly when I reach between 50 and 60 mph, if I take my foot off the gas there is no jerking, it only happens when my foot is on the gas. Thanks.
Tuesday, April 24th, 2012 AT 2:42 AM

RASBAJAN
I forgot to add one thing which is the car makes a thump noise when this happens and I can feel it when my foot is on the gas pedal.
+3
Tuesday, April 24th, 2012 AT 3:19 AM
FIXITMR
Is CEL on?
+2
Tuesday, April 24th, 2012 AT 3:37 AM
FIXITMR
Is the jerk rhythmic or random?
+4
Tuesday, April 24th, 2012 AT 4:21 AM
RASBAJAN
The jerk feels like a hiccup and feels like the car is lunging forward. I drove the car this morning and could feel this "hiccup" when doing only 30 mph, but when reaching 50 mph it is louder and I can hear like a thump and feel it, when I take my foot off the gas it goes away. The jerk is more like boom boom boom, there is a pause after every boom.
+5
Tuesday, April 24th, 2012 AT 1:08 PM
FIXITMR
What about cap and rotor? Were they new? Lots of misfires are due to cap/rotor defects/moisture.
+1
Thursday, April 26th, 2012 AT 8:16 PM
DJCL
When at idle try misting water from a spray bottle over the ignition system. Distributor cap and wires. See if this makes it run poor. If so I would start thinking ignition wires even if they are new, distributor cap/rotor and coil. Have the wires checked well. They are known to do this. Around the boots. Look for burn marks. I also think you may want to bring this back to the person that did all that work. After changing all the parts I would think this car should run well.
+1
Thursday, April 26th, 2012 AT 8:36 PM
RASBAJAN
I took my car back to the mechanic who claimed my car was jerking on acceleration due to poor gas, when I got it from him I did not drove much so I could not tell if the car was fixed. I drove the car the next day and the jerking was still there. I am taking it back one more time and if not corrected I will go to a Toyota repair shop.
I am not a mechanic but work in it and know that if a problem pops up after working on a computer, it might be due to the last thing done on the computer.
+1
Thursday, May 3rd, 2012 AT 1:51 PM
FIXITMR
Try disconnecting your EGR and see if that solves it.
+4
Friday, May 4th, 2012 AT 2:08 AM
REDLAUTOMOBILE
  • 1997 TOYOTA COROLLA
Most time when I am on speed the car just cease movement and when I try to accelerate it jerks.
Please what could be the problem? While am on top speed the two front tire tends shake. What could be the cause?
Monday, September 24th, 2018 AT 4:46 PM (Merged)
Check transmission fluid first then scan for codes. For the tires check for balance and if okay then try moving to rear to see if it makes a difference. Have your front suspension checked as well.