2002 TOYOTA COROLLA CODE PO300(RANDOM MISFIRE)

• dave1310
  • 2002 Toyota Corolla
  • 177 miles

I just drove the vehicle over 200+ miles since I bought it used. I took it up to my daughter in school and the check engine light came on. The car had the code read of PO300 at AutoZone, and the car was taken to a mechanic in her area. He said don't worry about it(came-up with same code), but watch for any performance issues, and if that occurs bring the car in. My question is it is OK to keep driving the car while I try to diagnose the misfire-plugs, wires, coils, and injectors? Any ideas what the most common cause may be?

Friday, June 28th, 2013 AT 8:45 AM

• seangrant00
  • 339 posts

Its a random misfire code. It means you could have more than 1 cylinder that isn't firing. This can damage your catalytic converters, and give you horrible gas millage and performance. I don't know why the mechanic said to not worry about it. Conman causes could be an ignition problem, spark plugs, spark plug wires, multiple things that would cause this. How is it running, as far as acceleration/performance?

Sean

Friday, June 28th, 2013 AT 2:40 PM
  • dave1310

I'm sorry-the car runs great and very smooth, acceleration is great as well as overall performance-no hesitation or kick, and starts right up-that's why he said "don't worry about it now, (maybe to save her money) but if any sign of performance problems, running, or hard starting bring it in. I do plan to diagnose the issue soon starting this weekend, it looks as if I have to go over it very thoroughly. I heard injectors are a big problem on this Toyota model.

Friday, June 28th, 2013 AT 3:28 PM
  • seangrant00
  • 339 posts

If you don't notice any performance issues, then it should be fine to drive until you start to diagnosis the problem. It could be the injectors but it also could be 100 other things. Let me know when you start to diagnosis it and we should be able to figure it out.

Sean

Friday, June 28th, 2013 AT 3:44 PM