WILL MY CAR NOT RUN RIGHT?

2010 Toyota Corolla

thatguy95

May, 4, 2012 AT 1:46 PM

I was just wondering if I could just take out the filter housing and filter and put a cone air filter in that has the same diameter of the stock intake hose and just clamp it in using the existing clamps.

Can I replace my stock air filter with a cone air filter without having to buy any other parts/adapters or will my car not run right with just the cone air filter? 2010 Toyota Corolla LE

Mis Fire -

hmac300

May, 4, 2012 AT 2:16 PM

You can always try it, normally those type are sold in a kit though

thatguy95

May, 4, 2012 AT 2:51 PM

I've I heard that the mass air flow sensor sometimes malfunctions if you do that kind of upgrade so if it did I could always just replace back the stock air filter and housing correct?

hmac300

May, 4, 2012 AT 3:11 PM

Ya but you would have to clean the maf first. People put to much oil on those type of filters and it screws the maf up.

thatguy95

May, 4, 2012 AT 3:26 PM

So not too much oil, check. How would I go about cleaning the maf if necessary? Sorry about all the questions but I'm still learning.

hmac300

May, 4, 2012 AT 3:40 PM

Choke cleaner but with engine off and wait til it dries before starting

thatguy95

May, 4, 2012 AT 5:57 PM

Thanks for the help, appreciate it alot!

thatguy95

May, 4, 2012 AT 6:26 PM

Also does it matter if I have a heat guard with the cone filter or is it not necessary?

hmac300

May, 4, 2012 AT 6:59 PM

The heat guard is to stop hot air from going in engine, if you have it use it if not don't