4 wheel drive not working

TEXASDAWG2003
  • 2007 DODGE RAM
The service 4x4 light comes on any time the knob is moved. Codes are c140d c1407 c1469 and c1405. I have not been able to find the flow chart or possible cause of these codes I know it will be a hard failure because as soon as the codes are cleared it was scanned and the codes came back any info will be helpful. The transfer case shift motor was replaced all the fuses are good the transfer case will shift into all gears without the motor on it when the shift shaft is turned by hand there is a short somewhere that puts the service 4x4 light on and it has the 4 codes c140d c1407 c1469 c1405 is the order the codes come up I cant find a flow chart, the possible causes chart or much detail in the codes, or a elc diagram on the 4x4 system.
Monday, September 9th, 2013 AT 1:58 PM

TY ANDERSON
Does your truck have the Nv-246 transfer case in it? You can find the circle model stamp plate on the back side of the transfer case.
Here is a list of possible causes for each fault code listed
Also, found a technical service bulletin for code C1405 (only)
so you may what to look at that (TSB reference number 21-011-07)
possible causes
shift motor control A circuit open (dark green wire)
shift motor control B circuit open (yellow wire)
shift motor/ mode sensor assembly
totally integrated power module (TIPM)
C1407 transfer case brake control circuit low (TIPM)
Possible causes
transfer case motor brake circuit open (yellow w/grey stripe wire)
transfer case motor brake circuit shorted to ground (yellow w/grey stripe wire)
transfer case motor assembly
totally integrated power module (TIPM)
C1469 Front axle disconnect return control circuit high (TIPM)
Possible causes
Front axle lock control circuit shorted to voltage
Front axle lock control circuit shorted to ground
front axle disconnect module
totally integrated power module (TIPM)
C1405 transfer case range position sensor circuit high (TIPM)
Possible causes
totally integrated power module (TIPM) fuses
5 volt supply circuit shorted to voltage (yellow with orange stripe wire)
Mode sensor A circuit shorted to voltage (white with dark green stripe wire)
Mode sensor A circuit open (same as above white w/dark green)
TIPM sensor return circuit open
Shift motor/mode sensor assembly
Totally integrated power module (TIPM)

Hope this sheds some light, talk to you soon, TY
+2
Thursday, September 12th, 2013 AT 8:54 PM
TEXASDAWG2003
Yes it is that transfer case

Is there a test procedure fore each code. Have you found Test procedures?
Thursday, September 12th, 2013 AT 11:24 PM
TY ANDERSON
It sounds like the transfer case selector switch has gone out but to be sure lets run a test through the switch using this guide and the wiring diagrams (Below)

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-wiring

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-test-light-circuit-tester

Test for signal at the switch

Here is a a TSB

The TSB Reference number 21-011-07 applies only to 4wd light duty ram truck that are equipped w/a NV-246 t case and were built on or between October 30,2006 and June 19,2007. Let me know it this applies to your truck you may need to contact a dodge dealer and supply them with you VIN to get a exact built date. This TSB only applies to the C1405 code only to determine if the inner bearing support plate is worn allowing t case shift actuator to over-travel and cause a fault determined by the vehicle's computer.

CODE c140d - t case motor control circuit open (TIPM)
Diag steps
1Key on engine running at idle switch t case switch to ea. Position. With scan tool is c140d code active? Y/N
2Key off engine off Remove the TIPM C4 harness connector and measure resistance between the (t101 Shift motor Control A circuit and the (t102) Shift motor control B circuit. Is the resistance between 40-100 ohms?
3 Disconnect the shift motor/mode sensor assembly harness connector. Measure resistance between the (t101) shift motor control A circuit and the (t102) shift motor control B circuit at the shift motor/mode sensor assembly component side. Is the resistance between 40-100 ohms?
4 Measure the resistance of the (t101) shift motor control A circuit between the shift motor/mode sensor assembly harness connector and the TPIM C4 harness connector. Is the resistance above 5.0 OHMS?
5 Measure the resistance of the (t102) shift motor control B circuit between the shift motor/mode sensor assembly harness connector. Is the resistance above 5.0 ohms?
6. Inspect all wiring and connector that pertain to this circuit. Were any problems found?
Here is some pic of wiring diagrams at contain the t102 and t101 circuit.

Check out the diagrams (Below)

Let us know what happens and please upload pictures or videos of the problem.

Cheers
+2
Monday, September 16th, 2013 AT 8:52 PM
TEXASDAWG2003
You guys nailed it the selector switch has bad I found out after testing. Once replace dht truck works great! I love this site where do I send money?
+3
Wednesday, September 18th, 2013 AT 1:09 AM
ELBIN
  • 2007 DODGE RAM
  • 65 MILES
My four wheel drive will not engage all it does is make clicking sounds when I switch the 4wd on
What could be causing this problem?
Wednesday, August 19th, 2020 AT 6:37 PM (Merged)
Is this the push button 4wd system?
ELBIN
Yes it is, when I switch it to 4wd I hear it click but does not engage.
What you need to start with is the actuator on the transfer case. It needs removed and inspected for proper operation.
+1
JORDANB1986
  • 2006 DODGE RAM
1500 Big Horn with a Hemi engine, nv243 transfer case with electronic four wheel drive selector.

So my truck will not go into four wheel drive and I am kind of stuck. I cannot get my truck to go into four wheel drive. I move the selector switch from two wheel drive to 4hi lock and nothing happens. Dash indicator lights do not light up and the front drive shaft spins freely. (Also in 4lo lock)

I have replaced the four wheel drive selector switch on the dash, did not fix the problem. I have tried replacing the shift motor on the transfer case, did not fix the problem. (Put the old one back on and returned the new one)

I get no sound or movement at the transfer case when I move the selector switch so I think my issue is electrical.

I have tested pins 2 and 3 on the c4 connector at the TIPM (see picture) and I had 2.4ohms of resistance. This seems very low to me. Is it possible a short here is my issue? What else can I test?

I also have the service manual, wiring diagram, and connector pinout and I am capable of testing these but I cannot find what the resistance should be.

Update: After putting the TIPM back together after some testing my truck is now stuck in four wheel drive with the indicator light on. Can I confirm a wiring/connector issue?
KEN

I am sure you checked the fuses and you replaced the first things I though of also. The only thing really left is the TIPM but to be sure lets test the continuity by following this guide

Here are the wiring diagrams, you can see these is not much to it. If the wiring checks out I would replace the TIPM you may need to get it programmed to the car FYI. If it was a speed senor it would throw a code.

Check out the diagrams (Below)

Cheers, Ken
+1
JORDANB1986
Ok tested the continuity for the shift motor and selector switch.

It is my understanding that the 2 shaft speed sensors are only on the full-time 4wd transfer cases which mine is not. I looked and could not find these. Can you confirm that?

Results from my test:
The fused red B (+) at the shift motor (upload 1) did not give me tone. (Checked it a couple times)

I see there is some sort of splice point somewhere in the "right rear of the engine bay."

Is this near the pcm?

Should I get continuity all the way to the shift motor? I'm sure it goes through a relay but I'm thinking that is inside the TIPM.
KEN
It sounds like you found the problem must have power from the TIPM for the system to work. Can you splice in and power that circuit up to see if that fixes it? That would be a kick. Double check that you have power at the fuse first.

Let me know.
+1
JORDANB1986
So I tried splicing in and even ran a wire directly from the battery to the shift motor(with an inline fuse) and still not shifting into 4x4. Ideas?
KEN
The brain for the 4x4 is the TIPM which they had problem with. If the wiring switch and motor are all okay it only leaves one thing it can be, the TIPM
JORDANB1986
I was afraid that was going to be my issue. Expensive repair. I will try switching the motor out one more time with a direct wire to the battery for power. If that doesn't work I'm going to send the tipm out to to be repaired.

Thank you for the help Ken, much appreciated
DAVEJBER
  • 2004 DODGE RAM
  • TURBO
When the vehicle is cold, the vehicle will engage the 4 wheel drive; in either 4 high or 4 low.

After operating the vehicle for more than 20 minutes, the Serv 4WD indicator comes on and the 4WD stops working, note; this does not happen when road conditions are dry.

I've replaced the transfer case motor and serviced the transfer case fluids.

I suspect the issue is electrical but not sure where to start.
KEN
No problem please let me know what happens :)
KASEKENNY1
Just to be clear, this happens when it is wet and you start the vehicle and it engages the 4WD? Or do you have to drive the vehicle? Then after 20 minutes of driving in 4WD it disables the system? Does the 4WD disengage at this point?

Let's start with checking for codes, which may point us to the specific circuit.

If not then we need to inspect the wiring harness under the vehicle because if it just happens when wet, then I agree it is a circuit issue. You are looking for where the harness is next to brackets or any worn spots in the covering. Worst case, pull the connectors apart and look for green or brown water marks.

Let me know if you have questions but again, codes will really help narrow this down. Thanks
+1
DAVEJBER
Your second clarification is correct. When the vehicle is cold, 4WD engages when the selector switch is turned to either 4H or 4L and returns to 2WD by the selector switch.

After 2O minutes, the SERV 4WD light illuminates and the system will not engage the 4WD. If in 4WD, the system returns to 4WD regardless of switch position.

If I stop the vehicle and let it cool down (15 to 30 minutes). I can restart the vehicle and the system returns to normal operation before the problem returns; although the timing for the problem returning varies.

We are expecting rain and snow this weekend, so I hope to identify a possible code(s). The drive in today was dry and there were no codes. I hope to identify a code while the condition exists.
KASEKENNY1
Okay. Yes. I still suspect a wiring issue but when that serv 4WD light illuminates you should have a code with it. Take a look at this attachment which explains the serv 4WD light a little more. Let me know what code it is and we can go from there. Thanks

Sponsored links