4 wheel drive not working

TEXASDAWG2003
  • 2007 DODGE RAM
The service 4x4 light comes on any time the knob is moved. Codes are c140d c1407 c1469 and c1405. I have not been able to find the flow chart or possible cause of these codes I know it will be a hard failure because as soon as the codes are cleared it was scanned and the codes came back any info will be helpful. The transfer case shift motor was replaced all the fuses are good the transfer case will shift into all gears without the motor on it when the shift shaft is turned by hand there is a short somewhere that puts the service 4x4 light on and it has the 4 codes c140d c1407 c1469 c1405 is the order the codes come up I cant find a flow chart, the possible causes chart or much detail in the codes, or a elc diagram on the 4x4 system.
Monday, September 9th, 2013 AT 1:58 PM

TY ANDERSON
Does your truck have the Nv-246 transfer case in it? You can find the circle model stamp plate on the back side of the transfer case.
Here is a list of possible causes for each fault code listed
Also, found a technical service bulletin for code C1405 (only)
so you may what to look at that (TSB reference number 21-011-07)
possible causes
shift motor control A circuit open (dark green wire)
shift motor control B circuit open (yellow wire)
shift motor/ mode sensor assembly
totally integrated power module (TIPM)
C1407 transfer case brake control circuit low (TIPM)
Possible causes
transfer case motor brake circuit open (yellow w/grey stripe wire)
transfer case motor brake circuit shorted to ground (yellow w/grey stripe wire)
transfer case motor assembly
totally integrated power module (TIPM)
C1469 Front axle disconnect return control circuit high (TIPM)
Possible causes
Front axle lock control circuit shorted to voltage
Front axle lock control circuit shorted to ground
front axle disconnect module
totally integrated power module (TIPM)
C1405 transfer case range position sensor circuit high (TIPM)
Possible causes
totally integrated power module (TIPM) fuses
5 volt supply circuit shorted to voltage (yellow with orange stripe wire)
Mode sensor A circuit shorted to voltage (white with dark green stripe wire)
Mode sensor A circuit open (same as above white w/dark green)
TIPM sensor return circuit open
Shift motor/mode sensor assembly
Totally integrated power module (TIPM)

Hope this sheds some light, talk to you soon, TY
+3
Thursday, September 12th, 2013 AT 8:54 PM
TEXASDAWG2003
Yes it is that transfer case

Is there a test procedure fore each code. Have you found Test procedures?
Thursday, September 12th, 2013 AT 11:24 PM
TY ANDERSON
It sounds like the transfer case selector switch has gone out but to be sure lets run a test through the switch using this guide and the wiring diagrams (Below)

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-wiring

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-test-light-circuit-tester

Test for signal at the switch

Here is a a TSB

The TSB Reference number 21-011-07 applies only to 4wd light duty ram truck that are equipped w/a NV-246 t case and were built on or between October 30,2006 and June 19,2007. Let me know it this applies to your truck you may need to contact a dodge dealer and supply them with you VIN to get a exact built date. This TSB only applies to the C1405 code only to determine if the inner bearing support plate is worn allowing t case shift actuator to over-travel and cause a fault determined by the vehicle's computer.

CODE c140d - t case motor control circuit open (TIPM)
Diag steps
1Key on engine running at idle switch t case switch to ea. Position. With scan tool is c140d code active? Y/N
2Key off engine off Remove the TIPM C4 harness connector and measure resistance between the (t101 Shift motor Control A circuit and the (t102) Shift motor control B circuit. Is the resistance between 40-100 ohms?
3 Disconnect the shift motor/mode sensor assembly harness connector. Measure resistance between the (t101) shift motor control A circuit and the (t102) shift motor control B circuit at the shift motor/mode sensor assembly component side. Is the resistance between 40-100 ohms?
4 Measure the resistance of the (t101) shift motor control A circuit between the shift motor/mode sensor assembly harness connector and the TPIM C4 harness connector. Is the resistance above 5.0 OHMS?
5 Measure the resistance of the (t102) shift motor control B circuit between the shift motor/mode sensor assembly harness connector. Is the resistance above 5.0 ohms?
6. Inspect all wiring and connector that pertain to this circuit. Were any problems found?
Here is some pic of wiring diagrams at contain the t102 and t101 circuit.

Check out the diagrams (Below)

Let us know what happens and please upload pictures or videos of the problem.

Cheers
+1
Monday, September 16th, 2013 AT 8:52 PM
TEXASDAWG2003
You guys nailed it the selector switch has bad I found out after testing. Once replace dht truck works great! I love this site where do I send money?
+1
Wednesday, September 18th, 2013 AT 1:09 AM
ELBIN
  • 2007 DODGE RAM
  • 65 MILES
My four wheel drive will not engage all it does is make clicking sounds when I switch the 4wd on
What could be causing this problem?
Saturday, October 20th, 2018 AT 10:26 AM (Merged)
Is this the push button 4wd system?
ELBIN
Yes it is, when I switch it to 4wd I hear it click but does not engage.
What you need to start with is the actuator on the transfer case. It needs removed and inspected for proper operation.
MLHARDY2
  • 2000 DODGE RAM
When shifting into four wheel drive the front hubs are not engaging. When I go to four wheel low the transmission goes into low but still will not engage the hubs. I think it is electrical because prior to this the 4x4 light on the dash would cut on and off while traveling down the road in two wheel drive. What part do I need and is this something I can do myself? I have some general mechanical knowledge. The hubs are automatic not manual.
If you get 4wd lo, the transfer case is working. Thus, you are correct. I would start by checking the vacuum hoses to the front axle to make sure they are not dry rotted, damaged or disconnected.

Let me know what you find.
SHAWN1975
  • 2001 DODGE RAM
2001 Dodge Ram V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic

four wheel drive will not engadge when using the dog leg.
Does it have an electric or manual shift 4wd, or does dog leg refer to a manual? If it does, make sure the linkage is good. If it is, check for vacuum leaks to the front differential.

Let me know.
DDWHITEROC
  • 2003 DODGE RAM
It is difficult at times to shift to 4WD. For example, going from 2H to 4L drive. I have to do this manually, put the truck in Neutral on top then press all the way down on the brake to engage 4WD. The light does go on if I am engaged properly. However, this is not always the case, it does not engage easily all the time. Why? There have been times when I was not in proper gear, for example, shifting between N and 4L or back to 2H, this has caused the truck to shake. The dealer had tuned up my 4WD about a year ago with no problems reported. Thanks in advance for your answer.
JACK42
Could be the electric motor on the transfer case is having an issue adn doesnt work smooth all of the time. You should always have to stop the vehicle when going into Low range, some even require it be in neutral on top
2CARPROS-ARCHIVES
  • 2001 DODGE RAM
I have a 2500 Ram cummins diesel. When I turn on the key, the cruise control light comes on immediately and can only be shut off by turning the key off. The cruise will not set to a speed. The vacuum operated 4 wheel drive will engage correctly and stay in until taken out. What is the problem?
BLAZE45
It could be the brake light switch, which is like $11. Its a fairly common problem. For further troubleshooting refer to this thread with some good troubleshooting information.

Number one cause of a failed cruise control is the vacuum line running to the servo on the drivers side under the battery. Battery acid leaks down and eats a whole in it. Next check the brake light switch on the brake pedal. Seems to be the next most common failure and cheap replacement part at the auto parts store. The clock spring in the steering wheel also will go bad and is pricey. Also the cruise button on the steering wheel gets dirty contacts that can be cleaned.

Good luck and feel free to donate!
JLOCKS38
  • 2002 DODGE RAM
I can't get the 4x4 to engage and the light on the dash board doesn't light up like it use to.I already checked the fuse and it wasn't that.
PROAUTOTECH
Crawl under the truck, there is a vacuum line that looks like a brake line that engages the front differential for 4 wheel drive. If you do any 4 wheeling, it is likely that it got cut or damaged. I worked on the same truck but 2 or three years older, this was the fix. Let me know.
JLOCKS38
Not to sound ignorant but where would I find the differential that your talking about? Also would this be a copper line or a regualar hose line. Because there are two hoses that I can visually see that fit this description without taking either front wheels off.I cant see where it plugs in because the wheel is blocking it.
PROAUTOTECH
You donkt have to take the wheels off. It's on the tranfer case or the front pumpkin. Follow all the lines and look for a break.