Will not crank over

TRIGGMAN
  • 2010 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE
I did some front end work that required me to unplug the two fuse boxes and remove the battery. When I put everything back together the vehicle will not start and it will still roll freely when in park.
Wednesday, October 17th, 2018 AT 6:47 AM

KEN

Let start by checking for power at fuse #22, but it sounds like one of the connectors is not all the way together. Can you please recheck it here are the transmission wiring diagrams so you can see how the system works?

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-a-car-fuse

This guide can help as well:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/starter-not-working-repair

and the transmission control relay.

Check out the wiring and fuse panel diagrams (below). Please let us know what you find. We are interested to see what it is.

Cheers, Ken
Thursday, October 18th, 2018 AT 6:15 PM
TRIGGMAN
It ended up being a wire going to the starter. The Park issue was the transfer case was in neutral. Do not know how that happened.
Friday, October 19th, 2018 AT 1:53 AM
KEN
Nice work, we are here to help, please use 2CarPros anytime.

Cheers, Ken
Friday, October 19th, 2018 AT 11:22 AM
FLYNN-T@HOTMAIL.COM
  • 2004 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE
When I turn the ignition nothing happens I have no power going from ignition switch to solenoid but I can cross solenoid over and it will start right up-I changed fuse under hood and changed starter relay under the hood and still will not start by turning the key. I put a wire in park neutral switch to by pass it and still will not start by turning the key. Can you help me out please when I turn the key on dash lights up and radio plays, windows work, it just will not turn over of the key.
Friday, October 19th, 2018 AT 11:42 AM (Merged)
Try a security system reset, see link.
https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-reset-a-security-system
-1
FLYNN-T@HOTMAIL.COM
Sorry forgot to tell you I tried the security system to see if that would work, but it never helped. I am really thinking it has something to do with the ignition switch, but every thing lights up and works when I turn the key. It just will not crank and start. Thanks
Like most Chrysler products the start system goes through the TPIM module which can be bad and a mechanic will have to scan for codes for that as auto parts cannot scan TPIM modules.
I screenshot your Starting System diagram in "Prodemand"

It took two shots, I insured they overlapped.

I circled, in yellow, some other things you might check out

Let us know how it is going.

Two diagrams below

The Medic
FLYNN-T@HOTMAIL.COM
I have changed all fuses, but when I turn the key to start I hear a clicking noise when I turn the key some where around the glove box in my dash. Hope this helps. Thanks
If you have no power going to solenoid and can jump it to start check neutral switch in CJ's drawing or the relay may be bad which you can quickly check by swapping another relay from PDC.
FLYNN-T@HOTMAIL.COM
I swapped out relay did not help and put wire in park neutral switch to by pass it still did not crank over with the key. Thanks for helping.
ROSS PODVIN
  • 2006 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE
  • AWD
Wife was driving when overheat transmission message came on and then started running badly. I found bad number five coil and then ran good parked it and then would not crank put new starter cause it was going bad. Also, checked relay good so put in new battery still would not crank. So I checked relay again and found when turned to start it was not energizing relay so changed ignition switch that did not work either. More information; when put key to run all warning lights come on and do not go off. Plus tire pressure one flashes and a small red one on other side of dash also flashes. Could computer be stopping it from turning over?
Then check wire leading from ignition switch for power the switch may be the problem then.
KEN

Yes the computer can be causing all of these issues, but lets check some things first. Please check the battery by load testing it at an auto parts store, they can test it for free. Next make sure the battery ground cable is clean and tight at the body and engine.

Next read the codes to see what comes up which can point us in the right direction.

Here is a guide

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/checking-a-service-engine-soon-or-check-engine-light-on-or-flashing

Please let us know what you find. :)

Cheers, Ken
FLYNN-T@HOTMAIL.COM
This is what I am thinking; I put a test light on the small wire from ignition to solenoid and when I turn the key to crank I have no power. Is there another way I can check my ignition switch without taking it all apart? And I hear a click coming from around the dash board by glove box when I turn the key to crank the engine, but still does not crank.
Get your test light and where single arrows are see if you have power with key on in those sockets. then where double arrow is have someone turn the key to start and see if that has power. it may be corrosion on relay or a PDC problem. I think the click you hear in dash is from the power-train module telling truck to start. you will need the relay out to check this and you can correspond with the the numbers which should be on bottom of relay. if you get power on all positions except where I have not marked it. It may be a fuse box problem or corrosion and it is not making good contact with relay. You may correct this by tweaking that one prong just a tad and cleaning any or all corrosion off as well as using dielectric grease on prongs for better contact. If there still is no power at unmarked position then it is either the fuse box is bad or the wire leading to starter has broken someplace which you can check with an ohm meter. i am also sending on how to check a relay along in link.
https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-an-electrical-relay-and-wiring-control-circuit
MAXIMILIAM
It was my actuator pin in my ignition-thank you very much-now I see my fuel tank skid plate is in very bad shape will it pass safety inspection if I put a couple of adjusting straps under my gas tank secured to the frame on each end thanks

Best Regards,

FLYNN-T@HOTMAIL. COM
BVAN1
  • 2004 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE
  • AWD
2004 jeep grand cherokee laredo 6 cylendar wont start after getting water over the hood in a river crossing, what may be the problem.
If the water was above the hood, the engine sucked water into it through the intake. First, if I am correct, the starter will no longer turn crank the engine. If that is correct, then you have water in the cylenders. Remove the spark plugs (mark the wires) and crank the engine till all water comes out. Next, change the oil because it is most likely contaminated with water too. Remember, water doesn't compress like air, so there is a change you bent a connecting rod or caused other internal damage to the engine. You will know once we get the water out of the engine.

Once the water is out, spray some penetrating oil into each cylender to help prevent rusting. Allow the plugs to stay out for at least over night so any water can evaporate. If you have a compressor, try to blow out any water that still may be in there.

Next, check to make sure you are getting spark to the plugs. Since you already have them out, you may want to just replace them. If you have spark, replace the plugs and keep your fingers crossed. If the engine starts and there is no knocking or ticking, you save it. If there is knocking and rough idle, chances are there is internal engine damage.

Please note that I am basing my response on the fact that the engine was covered under water while it was running which would have caused it to take in water. If the starter is turning the engine over and it won't start, let me know. Don't forget to change the oil before running it.

BVAN1
The engine died as soon as water went up over the hood. I tried to restart it imidiatly and it only turned over for a split second. We then pullrd it up onto dry land(it was submerged to the bottom of the doors for @ 1hour) then tryed to start it, unsucssfully, then we hooked up jumper cables and it didnt do anything. I have power to all obvious electronics 7 it started to crank slightly but did not turn over at all almost like a loose battery connection. We pulled the air filter out and it was soaked. If these things change your answer or ideas on the initial claening and attemp to start please let me know. Also if there are other precautions we should take please let me know, thank you. Its much appriciated. Brooke