Pathfinder cranks but won39t start intermittently

PATHFINDERRS
  • NISSAN PATHFINDER

I have a 1995 pathfinder SE with 245,000 km, V6 3.3L and all of a sudden it wouldn't start, only intermittently.

When I just turn the key. It cranks but won't start.
When I press the peddle down full and then try to start. It cranks and seems to want to start but then doesn't.

I checked:
- spark plugs and there is a good spark.
- for 2-3 seconds of whining of fuel pump when key is turned 3/4 prior to trying to start.
- fuel tank is full
- fuel lines seem to be pressurized?

Any idea what it could be?

Tuesday, May 22nd, 2007 AT 9:25 PM

DATSUNRAISED

You might need try checking the compression in your cylinders. If you have good spark, good fuel/air, and it's cranking, then all you really have left is poor compression; or timing my be off.

-2
Saturday, June 2nd, 2007 AT 10:31 AM
PATHFINDERRS

Its definitely NOT the starter as the engine turns over very good. Today I took it out a long drive and when I came back and stopped the truck, I was able to restart it a few times no problem. Even checked it an hour later and it started?

It wouldn't do this if the fuel pump wasn't working or the distributor wasn't working. Maybe the crank sensor? Or an injector(s) got stuck?

-2
Sunday, June 3rd, 2007 AT 9:51 PM
DATSUNRAISED

It shouldn't be just one injector, because as soon as it hit a good one it would still turn over. But to make sure your getting fuel to all cylinders, disconnect your spark plugs, leaving the holes open. Then crank the car a couple of times. You should be able to smell gas coming out of all your cylinders. To then clear the gas out, reconnect your spark plugs and pull the fuse for your fuel pump. Crank again to get the gas out.

As for as the crank sensor goes, I have usually experience really rough idle also when those go out, but it's definately a viable option as well.

Thursday, June 7th, 2007 AT 11:39 AM
PATHFINDERRS

If I hear the fuel pump and the fuel filter is ok. Then what could be the problem if fuel isn't getting to the engine?

I have still pull out the plugs and check for fuel.

I'll let you know. Thanks for the input.

Friday, June 8th, 2007 AT 7:45 PM
KIN CHAN

Let me take a shot at this. Spray heavy dose of starting fluid and see if the engine will turn over with combustion. If it does. You can pretty much conclude is a fuel ctrl problem. If it doesn't then it is a timing problem and I mean ignition, cam, injectors. Whatever the hell that is not correctly timed.

When you plug a wire out in open air to verify spark. On a cold start if you put your injector pulse thru a scope your computer get a signal as starting it length at least 4 times on injector pulse to richen up the system in order to start so if u don't have a signal and get extra fuel to kick start, guess what it ain't happening.

If this is an intermediate problem on this guy then we can pretty much rule out compression, if u have bad mechanical problem it ain't happening no matter what

Service writer maybe right on coolant temp sensor which is another form of fuel ctrl. As a mechanic who makes a living on commission no time for that research and development spray and it doesn't work then I don't have to pull scope, scanner and move on to something else. What u think guys?

+1
Sunday, June 10th, 2007 AT 10:39 AM

Starter signal takes the place of the cold start valve to lengthen the pulse width for the initial enrichment especially in Toys. If the PCM don't see it, it will kill injectors-just like the Ne and G signals no fuel. Also the CTS will affect fuel delivery.

+2
Sunday, June 10th, 2007 AT 5:32 PM
PATHFINDERRS

I changed the distributor cap, rotor, and plug wires and it started with good idle, the four times I tried. The next night I tried starting the truck and it would crank but not fire! After about 6-8 tries, I was able to start the truck. Took it for a ten minute drive, came back, turned off the engine and tried to start it and it wouldn't. I took out spark plug # 1 and it was dry, checked it for spark and there was. Did the same for spark plug #3 with the same results.

Does this sound like a fuel delivery problem now? What should I check? Senors? I have not "check engine light on" nor any codes coming up. What gives?

Wednesday, June 13th, 2007 AT 10:04 PM
PATHFINDERRS

In frustration brought it to the dealer, replaced the distributor also, changed the fuel pump relays around. And I still seem to have this intermittant start.

They checked everything. No codes, fuel pressure was good, sensors were fine. They weren't able to get the truck not to start. So it was hard to pinpoint. Then I get it home and it doesn't start $#%. Could any of the sensors, like coolant temperature, cranks position sensor, camshaft sensor. Work intermittantly.

When it doesn't crank and I check the plugs, their dry. So no fuel is getting to them. But why?

Thanks for any input. Boy I hope the next person can learn from my posts.

+3
Sunday, June 17th, 2007 AT 10:19 AM
SERVICE WRITER

Hey
Pathfinder,

Like Kin says, next time it doesn't start, you need to access the throttle body and spray some starting fluid or similar into it and crank it to verify the no fuel situation. We need to verify the lack of fuel or not. Intermittents are a bear.

Sunday, June 17th, 2007 AT 9:29 PM
PATHFINDERRS

The problem was the relay for the fuel injectors wasn't working properly. So by changing the relay it solved everything. That's why no fuel was getting into the cylinders.

Thanks all for your help. Hope this helps someone else.

FROM KEN: The location of the relay is on the next page

+9
Wednesday, June 27th, 2007 AT 1:51 PM