1999 Nissan Pathfinder TURNS OVER BUT WILL NOT START

EDWIN G. MILOVICH
  • 1999 NISSAN PATHFINDER
1999 ½ NISSAN PATHFINDER ENGINE TURNS OVER BUT WILL NOT START. CAR WAS SITTING OUTSIDE UNUSED FOR SEVERAL MONTHS. REPLACED FUEL FILTER, FUEL PRESSURE TEST OK 42 PSI. FUEL PRESENT AT INJECTOR MANIFOLD. SOME INJECTOR WIRES WERE MOUSE CHEWED BUT WER REPAIRED. REMOVED UPPER AIR INTAKE AND REPAIRED WIRING. SPARK PLUGS WERE BAD AND REPLACED. CHECKED SPARK WITH TESTER, OK. CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR FAILED TEST, REPLACED DISTRIBUTOR. WHEN TRYING TO START SOUNDS LIKE A FEW CYLINDERS FIRE THEN NOTHING. ENGINE CONTINUES TO CRANK BUT WILL NOT START.
Tuesday, November 3rd, 2009 AT 3:24 PM

MATHIASO
Check the crank sensor, on the top, of bellhousing behind engine. It may cause the problem.
Check the injectors.
Measure the internal resistance of each injector with an ohmmeter. Disconnect each injector from its harness and measure the resistance across its terminals. If resistance is not within specifications (typically 3 to 5 ohms for a low-resistance injector, or 12 to 17 ohms for a high-resistance injector), the injector needs to be replaced. A difference of only 1 ohm less than specifications may be enough to prevent the injector from opening reliably under some operating conditions.
Tuesday, November 3rd, 2009 AT 5:22 PM
EDWIN G. MILOVICH
I did check the injectors resisitance when I had the upper intake off but since then I bought a new digital meter so I'll check again with that. But since the engine will not start at all it would seam all the injectors would have to have gone bad at the same time. Seems more like the crank shaft sensor would be the problem. Can this sensor keep the engine from starting? Per the manual this sensor is used to determine the engine speed.
-1
Friday, November 6th, 2009 AT 1:35 PM
MATHIASO
The crankshaft position sensor signal to trigger the fuel injectors. Not all the injectors can go bad same time. So, if there is no spark and no injector activity, the problem is likely in the crank position sensor.
-1
Friday, November 6th, 2009 AT 2:45 PM