1999 Mercury Cougar Cranks but won't Fire

MOMM23
  • 1999 MERCURY COUGAR
My daughter wrecked her Cougar last week. She went in the ditch and ended up on the passenger side. Front fender is damaged but we can't get it to start. Found the reset for the fuel pump and it carnks over but won't fire. All fuses are good, no lights are showing a problem what else could be wrong? Is there another reset? The car seems too good to total but one guy looked at it but said he counldn't get it started but would buy for $200. We paid 2800 3 months ago. Any help please
Thursday, December 18th, 2008 AT 9:44 PM

BLUELIGHTNIN6
Hello
Thanks for the donation.

First off, how is the daughter doing?

Okay, I would not sell it for $200. Too nice of a vehicle.

Now, you say it is cranking but will not fire? You need to check for fuel and spark. If plugs are getting spark then check fuel pressure at the fuel rail. To reset the computer, disconnect the negative cable battery for at least 10 - 15 minutes then reconnect.
Thursday, December 18th, 2008 AT 10:02 PM
IMPALASS
Hello -

Well, first I hope your daughter is okay.

Okay, just a couple of questions to maybe narrow things down a little.

First, driver's side or passenger side?

Now, if I understand you correctly, you turn the key on. The dash lights come on normal, your turn the key and the engine turns but will not fire?

We need to figure out if it is electrical or fuel related. I know you reset the fuel pump but that doesn't mean it is pumping fuel. Pull a plug wire off of the spark plug and insert something into the end of it and have someone try to start the car and have the metal object really close to a piece of metal on the engine and see if you are getting a good strong popping blue spark. Don't have your hands on any part of the metal! If there is no spark, then it is electrical. If you are getting good spark then take some starting fluid and spray in the TB and see if it starts for a second.

When you turn the key on and the dash lights come on. Can you hear the fuel pump come on?

Next, if you go to Auto Zone (AZ) or O'Reilly's (OR), you can use the tool program and get a code scanner, bring it home and check the codes. Most important: Once you check your codes, if you find something and you don't get it fixed and need to get back with us, please make sure you tell us exactly what the code was, number and all. Example, if the code was E0568 O2 Sensor bad. Then make sure you give us all of that.

I wouldn't sell it yet. Let's do some of these checks and see what we have.

Again, I hope your daughter is okay.
Thursday, December 18th, 2008 AT 10:07 PM