1997 Mercury Cougar

WGENESAM
  • 1997 MERCURY COUGAR
I have a 1997 Mercury Cougar XR7 with a 4.6 V-8 with cranking issues.I have replaced plugs, plug wires, crank position sensor, and camshaft position sensor. I have checked fuel pressure, coil packs, all checked good. Checked for trouble codes and there are none. The car will crank and run fine with one turn of key, then when I turn it off it will not restart. I wait 30 minutes and try it again it restarts, I turn it off, it will not restart
Tuesday, January 18th, 2011 AT 3:46 AM

If it cranks good but won't start, when the problem occurs, you have to do testing when problem is ongoing. If it cranks good, but won't start, have a helper crank it while you visually check for spark at the plugs. If you have spark everywhere, use a gage and check fuel pressure.
Sunday, March 6th, 2011 AT 8:18 PM
WGENESAM
Dear sir, thank you for attempting to answer my question. It would probably be helpful if you would read the whole thing before you give an answer to it. The problem with the car was a bad ignition control module, which is located inside the ECM. I replaced the electronic control module (computer) and it has done fine ever since. I was disappointed by every web site that offers information on car repair, not a single expert bothered to read my complete question and would suggest I do the same things I had done already, which I stated in the question if they had bothered to read.
Monday, March 7th, 2011 AT 1:20 AM
Dear Sir, you said your problem was a cranking issue. Cranking is starter action. The info I gave was valid. Have a good day.
Monday, March 7th, 2011 AT 3:19 PM
If your having trouble everywhere, seems to me the problem is you. Have a good day.
Monday, March 7th, 2011 AT 3:23 PM
Just to add, your are correct, sometimes I try to read too fast and overlook something. With intermittent issues, you have to test when the problem is ongoing. Any electrical part, if there is intermittent issue with wiring circuit, replacing the part won't fix it.

Before I've had my morning coffee, I have a quick trigger. I do better as the day goes along. Have to give the medicine time to take effect. Sorry about the gripe.
Monday, March 7th, 2011 AT 4:54 PM