CAR WONT START

Mercury Cougar

needham

September, 15, 2007 AT 2:40 PM

I have a95 mercury cougar; 4.6 liter engine.I have changed the fuel pump and the fuel pressure regulator and it still wont start, but it is getting fuel to the fuel rail. What else could be wrong?

September, 22, 2007 AT 6:02 PM

Could be an ignition system problem-remove a plugwire or so-ground it to the engine while being crank over look for a spark-do you have spark? If not check the distributor pick-up or a crankshaft position sensor. What might be happening here is that the computer might not be getting a crank signal to activate the injector/s. In other words the computer don't know whether the engine is turning or what to give it fuel.

Good Luck

my68monteray

November, 22, 2008 AT 8:27 PM

I had a similar problem with my 91 cougar and it turned out to be a shorted out wire just 2-3 inches from the cylinoid. Use a volt meter to check continuity of all cylinoid wires. (Expecialy if you have a green wire that splits in to 2 or more) this also causes the altinator to not charge the battery

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Pressure Test