2000 Ford Explorer Transmission Not Engaging and Slipping

RADAVIDSON2000
  • 2000 FORD EXPLORER
My transmission does not engage immediately when shifting into drive, neither from park to drive or reverse to drive. I can shift to 2 or 1 and it will engage and then move to D, however, the direct shift to D only will work if I press the accellerator heavily and then it will jerk into forward. It also has begun to grind and/or slowly shift one into D as it goes into higher speeds. Any suggestions or thoughts?
Tuesday, June 22nd, 2010 AT 11:00 AM

First, if it is the original transmission, my first thought is it could be a problem within the valve body. When you shift, there are plungers with o-rings that direct trans fluid so the vehicle shifts. Over time, they get hard and dry out. As a result, fluid bypasses them and it takes a long time to work or if you rev the engine, it builds more pressure.

My second thought is a weak front pump. Again, this will deal with fluid pressure and shifting.

I guess the first thing I should have asked is if the trans is full and the fluid is clean. However, I will assume you checked it.

Finally, when you shift directly to 1 or 2, does the trans work normal when you shift to drive?
+1
Tuesday, June 22nd, 2010 AT 7:05 PM
RADAVIDSON2000
Thank you for the reply. Yes it generally works as normal once I shift to D from 2, although lately it seems to be not a smooth shift as I increase speed. Do you suppose I need to get a rebuilt transmission or any other suggestions?
+1
Tuesday, June 22nd, 2010 AT 8:26 PM
RADAVIDSON2000
Tuesday, June 22nd, 2010 AT 8:29 PM
Before I say to rebuild it, I have a couple questions. First, is the present trans fluid full and clean? Does it have a burnt smell to it? Has the check engine light come on? Have you tried a transmission service?

Let me know.

Tuesday, June 22nd, 2010 AT 10:15 PM