Transmission 5 speed automatic 5R55E

RMOORE09
  • 1999 FORD EXPLORER
Hello, my explorer has nothing wrong with the engine and only thing on suspension is a tie rod boot torn. No vacuum leaks either.

Here is what it does

When taking off from start it will accelerate and when it is changing gears it will rev up suddenly usually only around 3 to 3.5 rpm. As it is revving up it kinda stalls going but when it quits it goes. When you stop after it does this it will slip when stopping like the brakes are slipping. Primarily it only does this in warmer climates and never does it in cold climates. It usually involves a lot of driving to do this too. It will do it once every great now and then. Any ideas what the problem is? The transmission is original with 210000 miles along with the engine.
Thursday, February 23rd, 2012 AT 12:41 AM

BILLYMAC
Sounds like a a trans problem on the way. I would have scanned for trans codes
Thursday, February 23rd, 2012 AT 12:46 AM
RMOORE09
No Codes and fluid perfect
Thursday, February 23rd, 2012 AT 12:47 AM
BILLYMAC
The pcm should have fault codes in the history the only thing you can try is a new throttleposition sensor this someties causes erattic shifting and slippage
Thursday, February 23rd, 2012 AT 12:55 AM
RMOORE09
The Throttle position sensor gets regular voltage. Could it be a valve body problem or a pressure issue? There are no codes whatsoever. It has never had a transmission problem till now.
Thursday, February 23rd, 2012 AT 12:59 AM
BILLYMAC
The throttle position sensor actually is a poteniometer that gets varied voltage from 0-5 volts depending on the position of the throttle. This could be a valve body issue but generally this will not cause slippage. Slippage is caused by a clutch assy releasing and grabbing again. If the fluid is clean and no codes then the only alternative is internal failure. This is most likely just the onset of this problem it will get worse.

You can service the filter and fluid and make sure you have the proper type of fluid. You can also go to your ford dealer and buy a bottle of friction modifier and add this to your transmission worth a shot I have seen it work.
Thursday, February 23rd, 2012 AT 1:20 AM
RMOORE09
Ok, a better explanation would be that my ford explorer when it accelerates and revs up. It revs up like someone just popped into neutral. Like I said it does not do it every time.
Thursday, February 23rd, 2012 AT 1:25 AM
BILLYMAC
Yes I understand your explanation and it is something inside the trans rather it is a band or a clutch plate there is no way to know without dissassembly. I would give the friction modifier a shot. Or take to trans shop for diagnostics good luck with it
Thursday, February 23rd, 2012 AT 1:33 AM
RMOORE09
Thank you very much! My last question is why did it not do it in the winter but when it is warmer outside and you drive it a long time why does it do it then?
Thursday, February 23rd, 2012 AT 1:40 AM
BILLYMAC
Good question. It has to be a problem that only shows up when the trans gets very hot. Did it do this last summer or is this the first time?
Thursday, February 23rd, 2012 AT 1:42 AM
RMOORE09
It did it last summer but at the time it had an intake manifold leak and we thought that was the problem and we fixed it when it got cold. It shut off the check engine light. It has no engine issues. I feel really upset that my engine is nearly in perfect shape and im about to have a transmission fail.
Thursday, February 23rd, 2012 AT 1:46 AM
BILLYMAC
Well the good news is it could do this for a long time before the trans fails it will progressively get worse. But you need to service it even though you have clean fluid you may still have restrictions in your filter. Explorer is well known for trans problems so you have been lucky so far. But it is what it is. Good luck
Thursday, February 23rd, 2012 AT 1:49 AM
RMOORE09
Is it possible it could be the torque converter if it is a pressure issue.
Thursday, February 23rd, 2012 AT 4:20 AM
BILLYMAC
Yes it is possible
Thursday, February 23rd, 2012 AT 3:39 PM
RMOORE09
What about valve body gasket?
Thursday, March 29th, 2012 AT 11:23 AM
BILLYMAC
This is a possibility but should have code for internal pressure loss. Just grasping straws without codes
Thursday, March 29th, 2012 AT 3:59 PM
RMOORE09
What could it be if there are no codes at all?
Friday, March 30th, 2012 AT 7:13 AM
BILLYMAC
Well no codes has to be internal mechanical problem. Possibly clutch disc slipping or even a badn or servo just really hard to accurately diagnose.I would try the friction modifier from ford dealer.
Monday, April 2nd, 2012 AT 12:54 AM