1999 Ford Explorer Dash lights

HONDATECH74
  • 1999 FORD EXPLORER
The lights for the instrument cluster and heater controls do not come on when the headlights are turned on. I'm thinking it could be the light switch or dimmer switch. Can you help me track this problem down?
Friday, February 27th, 2009 AT 6:37 PM

Hi:
It could be the switch, a bad ground, or a body control module (BCM). Try disconnecting the battery for about 10 minutes to see if the BCM resets. If not, check under the dash to make sure plugs to the dash are tight. Also, check for disconnected ground straps.

Let me know what you find.

Friday, February 27th, 2009 AT 9:37 PM
HONDATECH74
I disconnected the battery and reconnected it, the plugs are all connected properly and, all of the ground straps seem ok.
Lights still don't come on.
Sunday, March 1st, 2009 AT 9:13 AM
(HELP)
Hi, assuming you mean "illumination", not "digital displays", you'll need a wiring diagram (or a like vehicle) and figure out where the circuit's open. Likely the "dimming" portion.
Sunday, March 1st, 2009 AT 9:29 AM
Hi:
My guess (not being there) is either the switch is bad or the BCM has malfunctioned. Have the BCM tested at a shop that has the proper test equipment. If it is ok, then chances are it's the switch.

Sunday, March 1st, 2009 AT 2:07 PM