FLASHING 4 WHEEL DASH LIGHTS FLASHING

1997 Ford Explorer

Wes Wangen

July, 25, 2010 AT 1:32 PM

1997 Ford Explorer V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 200, 00 miles

When I went to put my Ford in drive after backing out of a driveway I could feel the left front wheel grabbing and you could hear a groaning type of noise, it let loose but the four wheel drive lights dash lights flashed twice then clear, then after another 5 mins or so they flashed again repeating the senerio till I got back home.

Jacobandnickolas

July, 26, 2010 AT 1:02 AM

It sounds like the actuator is bad on the transfer case. Does it shift in and out of 4wd?

Wes Wangen

July, 26, 2010 AT 9:07 PM

On Sunday it would not, didn't turn the 4WD or 4WL lights on either, but today when I took it to a place we are going to work on it, it shifted fine into both 4WD & 4WL once I was there. But on the drive it still felt like the front axles were engaged.

Jacobandnickolas

July, 27, 2010 AT 12:49 AM

It sounds like a bad actuator. The only thing I can suggest is when it happens again, check to see if there is power to the actuator. If there is and it won't shift, replace it. It really isn't an uncommon problem.

Dynamat Door Installation
Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Door Panel Removal & Speaker Replacement