DASH LIGHTS

1999 Ford Explorer

rmoore09

June, 11, 2012 AT 1:45 AM

Hello, when I turn my headlights on my dash lights up but part of it is really dim. It has been like that for like 7 years. The other night however the lights kept dimming back and forth like they were going out. It has not did it in a while. One instance was when I was driving they were bright but when I stopped they went dim and a few seconds later they went bright again. The battery gauge does not move and the explorer runs fine. Any ideas on the problem?

saturntech9

June, 11, 2012 AT 1:59 AM

Possibly a bad dimmer switch poor ground etc. Wouldnt hurt to make sure the battery cables were clean and tight also have the alternator and battery tested.

rmoore09

June, 11, 2012 AT 6:59 AM

Alternator and Battery tested fine. Battery Cables clean as well. Would it be difficult to replace the dimmer switch and the bulbs on the dash for this model?

saturntech9

June, 11, 2012 AT 7:07 AM

The dimmer switch shouldnt be hard to replace. As far as the bulbs go are they dim or just burned out?If there just dim then replacing them wont help. When the bulbs fail they stop working not go dim.

rmoore09

June, 13, 2012 AT 4:12 AM

Some are dim, some are bright.

saturntech9

June, 13, 2012 AT 4:25 AM

That doesnt sound like a switch sounds like a loose connection. The switch would make them all dim.

Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Window Regulator and Motor Replacement Honda
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Porsche 911
Instrument Cluster Replacement GMC Yukon
Cabin Air Filter Replacement