Charging failure problem

LONES11
  • 2006 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Electrical problem V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 67000 miles

I have an 06 Chevy. Silverado 1500. Its crew cab and has the 5.3. In October I received a Charging System Failure message on my dash, and my volt gauge on the dash showed this to be true. I replaced the alternator and it worked fine for a few weeks. Then the same thing happened again and I replaced the alternator once again thinking it was the problem again. I also replaced the battery. The truck worked fine for a little while but my volt gauge is jumpy. Sometimes it shows 14.0v and seems to work fine. Other times it shows 12-13v. I brought the truck to a Chevy dealer and they didnt find anything wrong. Then a week ago I got the same Charging System Failure again and the volt gauge on my dash showed that I was losing power. I again brought the truck to the same Chevy dealer and they redid the connections that allow the alternator to charge the battery (connections in the red plastic transfer box between the battery and alternator). They claimed this was the issue. However, 3 days later I looked down on my dash and my volt gauge was showing 12v again.

Can anyone shed some light on this issue? I am tired of bringing this to mechanics that cannot fix the problem. I dont want to be stranded on the side of the road hours from home when I go fishing.

Monday, February 1st, 2010 AT 8:54 AM

PAPACHOPPA
Hey lones11 - I have an '06 Chevy, same specs as yours but 153K miles. Runs great! Had this happen 2 months ago. Left me stranded and there was no warning. This morning left for work, this time I got a message on dash "Charging System Failure". Turned around and headed back home. I had done all the same changes and replacements as you. Even did the dealership trip @ $350 for a tow! They said nothing wrong, had it for 2 days. Took it back, ran fine until this morning. They had mentioned changing the PCM out $1.5K cost, as it controls the alternator. I wouldn't mind paying for the change out, but it better damn not do it again for another 150k miles. I drive in my job and can't have it leaving me on the side of the road!

My son said to check for loose grounds. Going to do that later today. Don't think that's the problem. Hope we both have good luck!

SOLUTION BY KEN BELOW
Monday, July 9th, 2012 AT 8:32 PM
KEN
Hey Lones11,

I would start be checking the fuses in the power distribution center, give them the wiggle test while the engine is running to see if the charging system responds. Next I am assuming you installed an AC Delco alternator becasue other will just fail. That's been my experience anyway. Next, check the battery and alternator wiring for corrosion.

There is a battery/alternator control module that might be bad, I have included some wiring diagrams so you guys can start looking and testing to make sure there is 12 volts where there should be.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-voltmeter

Check out the alternator wiring diagrams below

Please run some tests and get back to us so we can continue helping you.

Best, Ken

+6
Monday, December 5th, 2016 AT 7:19 PM
DOUG ROE
I did the tests you provided and found a bad positive battery cable causing the problem once I replaced it the system started charging good again. I love this site
+5
Tuesday, January 17th, 2017 AT 9:55 AM
KEN
Use 2CarPros anytime, we are here to help. Please tell a friend.

Cheers, Ken
+1
Friday, December 8th, 2017 AT 8:06 PM