Car turns over but will not start after replacing coils and spark plugs

PCRCART1
  • 2004 INFINITI G35
I changed valve covers and gaskets, replaced 2 ignition coils and all 6 spark plugs (NGK LFR5AIX - 11 4469) and now engine turns over but won't start. All electrical plugs are connected and going to the correct coils. All bolts are tightened to correct torque values. Is it likely that the coils aren't making contact to spark plugs? I didn't feel any kind of click when I pushed the coils in. Should I have felt a click? I checked the spark plugs for compatibility and they are compatible. I'm stuck, any advice?
Thursday, January 23rd, 2020 AT 11:59 AM

Hi,

You should feel a slight click when they fully engage. Is the engine doing anything that indicates any of the cylinders are firing? If not, I need you to check for spark to the coils. Here is a link that explains how to do it. Check this and let me know the results.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-test-an-ignition-system

Also, make sure the cam or crankshaft sensors are connected. Here are the directions for valve cover replacement. I'm adding them so you can look through them to see if something was done differently or something you may have missed.

__________________________________

2004 Infiniti G35 Sedan V6-3.5L (VQ35DE)
Procedures
Vehicle Engine, Cooling and Exhaust Engine Cylinder Head Assembly Valve Cover Service and Repair Procedures
PROCEDURES
ROCKER COVER

Rocker Cover
pic 1

REMOVAL
1. Remove the intake manifold collector with power tool.
2. Remove the ignition coil.
3. Remove PCV hoses from rocker covers.

pic 2

4. Loosen bolts in the reverse order shown in the figure (with power tool).

pic 3

INSTALLATION
1. Apply liquid gasket of 3.0 mm (0.12 inch) diameter to position shown in the figure (both edges of No.1 camshaft bracket) (on both banks).
First, apply it to engine longitudinal direction [5.0 mm (0.197 inch) + 5.0 mm (0.197 inch) side in figure].
Use Genuine RTV Silicone Sealant or equivalent.

2. Install rocker cover.
Check if rocker cover gasket is dropped from installation groove of rocker cover.

Rocker Cover
pic 4

3. Tighten bolts two steps separately in order numbers in illustration.

1st step:...............0.96 - 2.96 Nm (0.1 - 0.3 kgf-cm, 9 - 26 inch lbs.)
2nd step:................7.33 - 9.33 Nm (0.75 - 0.95 kgf-cm, 65 - 82 inch lbs.)

4. Install PCV hose.
- Insert PCV hose by 25 to 30 mm (0.98 to 1.18 inch) from connector end.
- When installing, be careful not to twist or come in contact with other parts.
- Install PCV hose between right and left rocker covers with its identification paint facing upward (right rocker cover side).

5. Install in the reverse order of removal after this step.

______________________

Let me know about the sensors and if you are getting spark.

Take care,
Thursday, January 23rd, 2020 AT 7:52 PM
PCRCART1
Joe thanks for the info. It appears that I missed a plug in the back of the engine. Now my engine is running rough and backfiring occasionally. I'm going to replace all the ignition coils and plenum gaskets. Hopefully that fixes the new issue.
Sunday, January 26th, 2020 AT 3:01 PM
Hi,

You are very welcome.

If it is a specific cylinder causing the misfire, it should show up by scanning the computer. You may not need all coils.

Next, a backfire is often caused by a lean fuel mixture. Take a look through this link:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/engine-backfires-while-running

It could be the result of a vacuum leak.

Let me know if you pulled diagnostic trouble codes that may point us in a specific direction. Also, let me know if by chance you have a live data scanner. If you do, please let me know what both the short and long term fuel trims are.

Also, here are the directions for replacing the intake gasket. The torque specs and sequence are included. The attached pictures correlate with the directions.

________________________________

Intake Manifold
Vehicle Engine, Cooling and Exhaust Engine Intake Manifold Service and Repair Procedures Intake Manifold
INTAKE MANIFOLD
INTAKE MANIFOLD

INTAKE MANIFOLD
pic 1

REMOVAL
1. Release fuel pressure.
2. Remove intake manifold collector (upper) and (lower).
3. Remove fuel tube and fuel injector assembly.

pic 2

4. Loosen bolts and nuts in reverse order of illustration to remove intake manifold assembly with power tool.

INSPECTION AFTER REMOVAL

pic 3

Surface Distortion
Using straightedge and feeler gauge, inspect the surface distortion of each surface on intake manifold.

Limit: .................... 0.1 mm (0.04 inch)

INSTALLATION
Install in the reverse order of removal paying attention to the following.

Intake Manifold
pic 4

Installation of Intake Manifold
If stud bolts were removed, install them and tighten to the torque specified below.

9.8 - 11.8 Nm (1.0 - 1.2 kgf-cm, 7.3 - 8.7 ft. lbs.)

Tighten all mounting bolts and nuts to specified torque in three or more steps in numerical order shown in figure.

R 1st step: .................... 4.9 - 9.8 Nm (0.5 -1.0 kgf-cm, 4 - 7 ft. lbs.)
R 2nd step: .................... 26.5 - 31.4 (2.7 - 3.2 kgf-cm, 20 - 23 ft. lbs.)
R 3rd step and after: .................... 26.5 - 31.4 (2.7 - 3.2 kgf-cm, 20 - 23 ft. lbs.)

______________________________________

I will watch for your reply.

Sunday, January 26th, 2020 AT 5:53 PM

Sponsored links