OVERHEATING

• maurice12
  • 2008 Cadillac CTS
  • AWD

Cadillac cts 2008 car overheated(went into idle) overheated out of nowhere. Can't find manual to check level over resevoir. Please advise where to find

Monday, July 18th, 2011 AT 12:04 AM

• factoryjack

The coolant reservoir is on the left(drivers) side of the engine compartment, between the left strut tower and the firewall. I have yet to see one of these overheat, what were the conditions under which it happened? If you had lost coolant, it should have given a check coolant message. Where there any warning signs other that it going to idle?

-1
Monday, July 18th, 2011 AT 12:28 AM
  • maurice12

No warning at all. A/C was off. This happen in Riverside Ca weather 93 degrees

Monday, July 18th, 2011 AT 12:37 AM
  • factoryjack

What did the gauge read? How did you determine it was an overheat?

Monday, July 18th, 2011 AT 12:45 AM
  • maurice12

No warning at all. A/C was off. This happen in Riverside Ca weather 93 degreesNo warning at all. A/C was off. This happen in Riverside Ca weather 93 degrees

Monday, July 18th, 2011 AT 12:48 AM
  • maurice12

The gauge shot up less than 45 seconds. Then the car read. Overheating and went into idle to protect it

Monday, July 18th, 2011 AT 12:51 AM
  • factoryjack

Something so sudden like that, I would be suspicious first of all, that it was truly overheating, and not just something falsely registering. If the coolant level is full, check the belt(although if it failed you would have lost power steering). The thermostat is on the rear of this engine, a real bear to get to. That would be another place to check.

Monday, July 18th, 2011 AT 12:57 AM
  • maurice12

I do see a little leak

Monday, July 18th, 2011 AT 1:01 AM
  • factoryjack

Another thing to consider, is the vehicle still should have powertrain warranty to 100k. Your owners manual will shed some light on what is defined as 'powertrain', but it may be warrantible. On the earlier 3.6, the water pump was known to leak, I don't know as though the pump changed on a 2008.

Monday, July 18th, 2011 AT 1:04 AM
  • maurice12

Thanks for all ur help going to have it towed to the dealer

Monday, July 18th, 2011 AT 6:57 AM
  • clark_carston11

Hi Maurice12,
I know it was a long time ago when this issue happened to your CTS, but my 2008 3.6L DI CTS4 just had the exact same sudden over heating occur, and their is a slight leak of clear water looking liquid. I was just wondering if you remember what the dealer found out was wrong?

Thursday, August 13th, 2015 AT 11:05 PM