MY WON'T START. THERE WAS ALSO A BURNING SMELL AFTER TRYING TO GET IT TO TURN OVER.

2006 Cadillac CTS

Ryan4921

November, 26, 2011 AT 5:12 AM

It will try and turnover but seems like it just doesnt have enough juice. After trying a couple times it looked like there was smoke coming from the engine compartment. This happened after I drove it the night before and everything was normal.

Jacobandnickolas

November, 26, 2011 AT 5:20 AM

Any idea if the engine is getting spark and fuel? Was the smoke from the starter?

factoryjack

November, 26, 2011 AT 6:00 AM

Check the connections at the battery, the positive battery cable, and the starter itself, for signs of thermal damage. If there is a burnt electrical smell, visually check the underhood fuse block/electrical center as it houses the starter relay. It is the same start schematic for either the 2.8/3.6 or the 6.0 CTS-V. The 6.0 is a little harder on starters due to the proximity to exhaust heat.

Ryan4921

November, 26, 2011 AT 5:36 PM

Thanks, I'll check that out this weekend. Any idea how much it'll cost if I have to replace anything? Not sure where the smoke was coming from. It just smelled like something electrical was burning and didn't last very long.

factoryjack

November, 26, 2011 AT 9:38 PM

It will vary in price, depending on what you have to replace, and what diagnostics might be needed. Have you tried to start it again, perhaps even tried to jump start. Are there any other symptoms in addition, that may point to a general area. The thing about electrical, is often times when a thermal failure occurs, the smell remains. It is a very strong, and very distinct odor. Do you have an odor that is still evident?

Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Starter Motor Replacement Ford Mustang
Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement
Starter Replacement