THE HEAT BLOWS COLD AIR EXCEPT FOR DRIVING ON ...

• Anonymous
  • 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse

The heat blows cold air except for driving on the highway. As soon as I get off the highway it goes back to cold air. I then noticed a small puddle under the passenger side of the engine. The overflow was empty so I replaced some of the fluid. The fans are turning on and no visible leaks to any hoses. Yesterday I had a friend install a new thermostate and flush/bleed the radiator. He said the radiator should be getting hot and it's not. I picked up the car today and it still does not have heat and the temperature gage will rise to hot and then level out several times while driving. I noticed antifreeze coming out the front of the car once I got home. Not a lot and the overflow was still full. Any ideas?

Thursday, November 29th, 2012 AT 9:38 PM

• cadieman

U will need to rent a pressure tester. It goes where the cap is. Then u need to pump it up. Then u can find the leak.

Friday, November 30th, 2012 AT 1:54 AM
  • homer1967
  • 902 posts

You do need to pressurize the system to find the leak first, after that you need to bleed the system of air, you may have a restricion in the heater core or even a head gasket issue. But you have to fix the leak before you can go any further.

Saturday, December 1st, 2012 AT 1:25 AM