Differences between 01 Dodge Ram radio wiring and later models

JTRIGGS
  • 2001 DODGE RAM
Is there a pinout difference in the wiring plugs between a 2001 dodge ram 1500 and a later model ram radio? I have an 01 Ram 1500 with a am/fm cassette and want to install 02-05 radio with a cd changer.
Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 AT 10:51 PM

Yup, there's two different plug styles but a few models of '01 already had the new style.
Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 AT 10:55 PM
The two plugs on the left were used from the early '80s through 1999 on everything and 2002 on the full-size vans. The two plugs on the right were used starting with a few 2000 models and on everything by 2003. You might want to reconsider installing a changer. Every brand has a lot of trouble. I have dozens of them on my shelf that I can't fix. Chrysler is the only company that will allow me to buy their radio service manuals and I still have little success. Ford's are much worse but they all have a lot of problems. I can suggest a really nice radio if you have cds and cassettes but you have to tell me whether you have the rounded or square-face radio.
+1
Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 AT 11:28 PM
JTRIGGS
Thanks for the quick reply. I one I now have what I assume is the square face radio/cassette player. It has slightly radiused corners but is primarily square. It does not have the oval display of the newer ones.
Considering the problems you suggest the in dash changers have would you then recommend getting a replacement radio and the remot changer module instaed of the in dash all in one unit?

Thanks again.
Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 AT 11:38 PM
The little Chrysler 4 and 6-disc in-dash remotes are the same mechanisms as used in the radios. The 4-disc needs four shipping screws installed to survive the vibration of shipping, especially if it comes from UPS. They get out-of-time and there is nothing in the service manual to tell how to reset it. I haven't had time yet to sit down and compare a working changer to a bad one. The 6-disc goes into a lock mode when you disconnect the power so it holds up better from shipping. My preference is the huge, bulky 6-disc add-on units but changing discs is a hassle. I have one in the trunk of a Dynasty but I found no matter what I stick in, that's not what I want to listen to on the highway. I prefer talk radio. If you have your old radio out, tell me the model number on the sticker on top.
-1
Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 AT 11:55 PM
JTRIGGS
Actually I don't have the current am/fm cassette unit out. I'm just kind of looking at what I want to replace it with since I have hundreds of CD's and I have run across a lot of used cd players and changers on Ebay. I see the difference in the sware face vs. Oval faced units. I can buy a brand new never used remote changer for $50.00 and then replace my cassette unit with a changer control head but I may just go back to buying a new aftermarket radio that takes SD cards (about the same cost as buying a used OEM head and seperate changer unit and just put all my music on SD cards instead of CD's.
Like you, I mostly listen to talk radio these days.
Thursday, March 17th, 2011 AT 12:18 AM
If you found one on eBay, give me the item number so I can look at it. Mrcd1 used to sell a lot of them. I fixed one of his radios but there was no way he could know it had a problem. Most of his stuff is pretty good. Reason I asked for your model number is there are a few round-face radios that have a 100 percent failure rate. The cassette model is 56038518. The cd model ends with a "67". After the problem develops the a radio will continue to work fine until the battery is disconnected or run dead. A lot of mechanics are falsely blamed for damaging those models. Most of them have three lighted tone controls but some have two non-lighted controls. The 8518 model has the jack on the back to plug in a remote changer. There is an almost identical radio built by Mitsubishi that looks and mounts the same, has the same three tone controls and runs the same changer. It was only used in one car model for one year so they're hard to find. Used car dealers are always watching eBay for them. Instead, there is an identical cd / cassette radio, also built by Mitsubishi for Chrysler that is a much better model. They weight about four times what the Chrysler-built radios weigh.
Thursday, March 17th, 2011 AT 12:32 AM
JTRIGGS
I actually have found one of the mitsubishi models for a 01-05 dodge stratus w/ the 4 disc changer with the numbers MR459823 and DY-5UC6CWYD. What would your opinion be on this?
Thursday, March 17th, 2011 AT 12:39 AM
I have three of them ready to sell. This model has an orange display and faceplate back lighting. I have a rare one with the standard bluish green back lighting but that one is brand new. I repair and sell radios at the nation's second largest old car show in Iola, WI. If you have the model you listed shipped, be sure the seller installs the shipping screws, (which most people wouldn't have), otherwise there's a real good chance the four lights on the front for the four cds will be flashing and it won't work. That's what I mean by "out-of-time", and I haven't figured out yet how to correct that.
Thursday, March 17th, 2011 AT 12:48 AM
JTRIGGS
Yeah, this looks like it comes from an auto dismantler so I highly doubt they have the transport lock screws. Chances are I'll just opt for replacing the current system with and aftermarket system that uses SD media cards and just drop the CD's from my truck. I rip all my own music collection anyway.
Thanks for all your help and advice.
Thursday, March 17th, 2011 AT 1:03 AM
Happy to help a fellow Dodge owner. If the seller is LKQ, they have yards all over the country. I visited two in Tennessee a few years ago. One of my 4-disc radios came from them with not one single stitch of packing material in the 15" cubed box! It actually survived but the display crystal was scuffed so badly you couldn't read the numbers. They sent me a second one, also with no packing material. It didn't work but I made one out of the two.
Thursday, March 17th, 2011 AT 1:19 AM
JTRIGGS
That's the place. Good to know that the unit might not arrive in decent shape. The price seemed good but the hassle of dealing with a non functioning part isn't worth the savings. I can get a new Sony digital media replacement system from Crutchfield for $40 more and thy include shipping, the mounting bezel, and a wiring adapter harness for free. Plus I am willing to bet the audio specs on the Sony is a lot better.

Thanks again.
Thursday, March 17th, 2011 AT 1:32 AM
CAPO547
I have the gray and black plugs I am trying to find the left and right audio on it but don't know which one can't read the diagram that good if you can help me out
Monday, March 3rd, 2014 AT 8:16 AM
I have that information, but it's on my computer that just went through a major house fire. If I don't get back to you within a week, post another reply to remind me.
Wednesday, March 5th, 2014 AT 12:27 PM