I buy, sell, and repair a lot of radios at the nation's second largest old car show, and the Chrysler CD/cassette combo radio is by far my most popular model because of its very high quality. Sorry to say though, of the common problems, this is not one of them. I would be happy to look at it for you, but I have a feeling the problem is not in the radio.
There is an easy test to perform first. Pull the radio out and unplug it. Then use a voltmeter or test light to check for voltage in the gray plug. There will be a pink wire on the end away from the keyway. It should have battery voltage all the time. The next wire is red, and it will likely have a stripe. That wire must not have battery voltage until the ignition switch is turned on. If it does, the cause must be found in the wiring harness. If the voltage goes to 0 volts when the ignition switch is off, there indeed must be a problem in the radio.
With all the circuits being complicated unnecessarily with unreliable computers, it is hard to tell what could work if the radio power circuit remains live. Overheated wires melted together at the ignition switch connector are a possibility but other systems should remain on too. That is unless they also need to have a computer turned on to operate. That might apply to the wipers, but the cigarette lighter is on the same circuit. I do not think the silly engineers added a computer to he lighter, yet, so to be safe, try the lighter when the ignition switch is turned off. If it works, check the ignition switch and wiring connector.
Sunday, July 22nd, 2018 AT 11:38 AM