Headlight problem

FREEFLO
  • 2000 CHEVROLET S-10
Headlights stopped working. Doesn't work auto or manually. A few days ago, they came on while driving but went off again shortly after. Fuses are ok and tried another electronic flasher with no luck. Corner, signal and fog lights work fine. Help?
Tuesday, January 18th, 2011 AT 4:25 PM

There is a headlight power relay that needs to be checked here is a guide to help walk you through the steps with the relay location below and the headlight wiring diagrams so you can see how the system works.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-an-electrical-relay-and-wiring-control-circuit

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know what happens.
+1
Tuesday, January 18th, 2011 AT 5:20 PM
FORD MAN
If what JDL suggested isn't the problem. Ya might need new connectors on the back of those headlights. This seems to be a problem with S10's no matter what year they were made.

Ford Man in Michigan
Tuesday, January 18th, 2011 AT 6:43 PM
FREEFLO
Thanks for the quick replies!
Sorry I havent checked the voltages just yet but wanted to share something interesting to my issue.
I hit a fairly deep pothole and what do you know, my headlights came on! On the way home, I did run over some sewer covers and the lights would blink on/off. At other times, when I hit another bump, they would go completely off, then hit another bump and they would come on! Would this be a connector issue as what Ford Man suggested or something else as they both go on/off together?
Any other ideas where I would look for something loose?
+2
Friday, January 21st, 2011 AT 12:02 AM
FORD MAN
Free. Either the connectors are the problem, or ya got a loose connection somewhere. Follow the wires from the backs of the headlights, & then back towards the firewall where the wires connect to the main fuse block inside the cab. If ya don't find a loose connection between the headlights & the firewall, then the connectors ARE the problem !

Ford Man
+2
Friday, January 21st, 2011 AT 3:12 AM
Sounds like your on the right track.
+2
Wednesday, March 2nd, 2011 AT 4:50 PM
JFINCH59
Had same problem on 1999 blazier headlights came on and off a couple times ck the wiring harness that goes under the abs control mounting bracket they seem to rub there I fixed like 6 wires good luck
+4
Sunday, October 16th, 2016 AT 5:25 PM
CHRIS DAVIS2
Thanks for the post I had this problem and had to replace the relay all fixed! I love this site.
Monday, March 18th, 2019 AT 4:50 PM
JOHNMINTZ
  • 2000 CHEVROLET S-10
I am having trouble fixing my driver's side headlight. The low beam does not work. The high beam works fine. I tried to change the bulb but the same thing happened. Just to make sure, I tried a different bulb. Still no low beam. I made sure not to touch the glass on the bulb. Any ideas?
Monday, March 18th, 2019 AT 4:51 PM (Merged)
S10OWNER84
I have an 03 S10 xtreme that gave me the same problem, simple fix, U kno the connector that u plug the bulb into? That needs to be replaced, advance auto parts or your local parts store will have one, just cut the old one off wire it back on and it will work good as new.
BPEET
  • 2000 CHEVROLET S-10CHEVROLET S-10
Chevy s10 2001 4x4 6cly headlights went out daylight running lights work also parking lights come on but no headlights. What could be wrong help
Bob
+3
WOOHOG1
"chevy s10 2001 4x4 6cly headlights went out daylight running lights work also parking lights come on but no headlights. What could be wrong help
Bob"
could it be that you have a blown fuse? That would be the first thing I would check.
AMIRELES0918
  • 1998 CHEVROLET S-10
I have a 98 chevy s10 pickup. I recently got into a accident that broke my left side headlight. The right side headlight worked perfectly. I just got a new headlight and a new connector piece that connects to the light bulb b/c the other one got cut off duing the accident. So I splice the purple and blue wires to attach the part.(Bright headlight connector piece) then attached it to the bulb connect and connect to other one to. Put it back into place. I then turned on the car and my drivers side lights dont work. When I go from regular to bright is alternates headlights. Also now the left turn signal is steady. I then disconnected the battery again. Switched the wires on the part thinkin they were on backwords. But nothin sill the same. Need help
SWILLIAMS
Does the left side light at all? If you start the engine do the DRLs still work?
Have you checked the headlight fuses?

If you're in college hit the library and look up the EBSCO host. Then go to auto repair and drill down to your vehicle. The wiring diagram ans test charts are there.
AMIRELES0918
I took out the battery and checked all the wires on that whole passanger side. I checked all the grounds retaped everything put it all back together and now it works. Dont know what it was but it works now. Thanks for the responds to my question.
TEDWARDS1966
  • 1997 CHEVROLET S-10
When I turn on light I have day running lights, tail lights, signal lights, brakes. The only thing not working are hi/low beams. Checked fuses, checked ground wires, checked bulb connections. Can you tell me what to check next?
Headlight switch. First inspect the connector for signs of melting, and look for two blackened terminals. That is also the place to start with electrical tests. Use a test light or voltmeter to see if there's a wire that only gets 12 volts when the switch is in the headlight position. If none shows up, suspect the switch first but we would do more tests first. If you do find a headlight wire that gets 12 volts, the next place to look is the dimmer switch.
MARY12445
  • 1997 CHEVROLET S-10
All the lights went out and we have changed the headlights out and checked the fuses are being checked and so far it looks like neither.
What else can we do?
A bad switch, high beam switch. Can cause loss of lights. Also, a bad ground.
KKELLY21B
  • 2000 CHEVROLET S-10
When The ignition is on, no matter what position the light switch is set to, all of the lights outside the truck are on. The only time the switch works right is when the ignition is off. The other issue that is certain to be related is high/low beam operation. With high beams off, all four of the headlight bulbs are lit, the outside bulb on the driverside is bright, and the bulb closest to the grill is dim. The bulbs on the passenger side are both lit, but dim. When high beams are selected, the bulbs on the driver side switch, outside bulb becoming dim and grill side bulb becoming bright with once again no change of any sort on the passenger side. Could this be an issue with the Daytime Running Lamps/Automatic Exterior Lamp Control feature, and is there any way I could find out without having a comp. Diagnostic done?
+1
JAMES W.
Do you have "day time running lights" DRL or the ZRS system? Please advise.
+2