Engine turns over but wont start

HEATWAVETENOR
  • 1988 FORD RANGER
Cranks but wont start. I have changed the ignition coil, but still nothing.
Monday, June 27th, 2011 AT 10:35 PM

WRENCHTECH
All "crank, no start" conditions are approached in the same way. Every engine requires certain functions to be able to run. Some of these functions rely on specific components to work and some components are part of more than one function so it is important to see the whole picture to be able to conclude anything about what may have failed. Also, these functions can ONLY be tested during the failure. Any other time and they will simply test good because the problem isn't present at the moment.
If you approach this in any other way, you are merely guessing and that only serves to replace unnecessary parts and wastes money.

This guide will help

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

These are the basics that need to be tested and will give us the info required to isolate a cause.

1) Test for spark at the plug end of the wire using a spark tester. If none found, check for power supply on the + terminal of the coil with the key on.

2) Test for injector pulse using a small bulb called a noid light. If none found, check for power supply at one side of the injector with the key on.

3) Use a fuel pressure gauge to test for correct fuel pressure, also noticing if the pressure holds when key is shut off.

4) If all of these things check good, then you would need to do a complete compression test.

Once you have determined which of these functions has dropped out,
you will know which system is having the problem.

+3
Monday, June 27th, 2011 AT 10:58 PM
'88 RANGER
  • 1988 FORD RANGER
My 1988 ford ranger isn't starting. Its not getting fire. I changed the distributor cap and the coil. Now I think it might be the distributor itself, how do I replace or adjust it?
P.S. Most of the parts are original
Sunday, May 26th, 2019 AT 3:39 PM (Merged)
BLACKOP555
First make sure you are getting power to the coil with key on. The next step if you have power is disconnect coil from distributor and crank vehicle. Do you get spark there?
+1
BOATANCHORS66
  • 1988 FORD RANGER
1988 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic

I have a 1988 ford ranger 2.9 v6. It runs fine and drives fine, But once the engine gets to normail operating tempature and I shut it off it will not start back up, I have replaced the TFI module, The Coil Pack the Condensor and the Air control valuve and the starter and still have not solved the problem. I check and it is getting spark to the spark plugs and it is getting fuel to the injectors. Please any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Chris
Do you have access to a fuel pressure gauge if so hook it up on the fuel pressure test port and read off and give me the readings we start here
BOATANCHORS66
I tested the pressure of the fuel to the injectors and it is holding right around 40 lbs.
I tested the pressure of the fuel to the injectors and it is holding right around 40 lbs. Is this while engine is idling if so you're good to go.

Hook up the gauge again and when you shut off the engine monitor the pressure did it drop to zero instantly?

Also check and test the BMAP and TPS sensors to include the CTS.
BOATANCHORS66
It was a bad ground cable
RANGERDAWG
  • 1988 FORD RANGER
Have 88 ranger started this morning, then stalled now won't start? It is an 88 ford ranger stx 2.9 liter v6
+1
MERLIN2021
Check for spark at the plugs, and fuel pressure.
RANGERDAWG
New fuel pump, fuel fiter, an spark r there.
JD329
New fuel pump, fuel fiter, an spark r there.[/Quote:df30d93ddb]
Try the fuel pump relay in or around the fuse box.
GLOLITO
  • 1988 FORD RANGER
My Ranger will not start. New distributor, module, pik-up coil, coil, sparkplugs/wires, starter, solonoid, battery. Its getting fuel. New computer box(passenger side pannel). The timming was reset also. Still wont fire, just cranks and cranks. Why? Answers will greatly be appreciated! Thanx.
RANGERDANGER17
Make sure its getting fuel by listening for the fuel pump and checking the emergancy fuel cut off switch

check all your fuses (under the hood)

make sure the timing belt is tight and the camshaft is turnin over

make sure all the ground on the ignition system are tight

check to see if it is throwing a engine code
JERKASE
  • 1988 FORD RANGER
I have a 1988 ford ranger and I put a new timing belt in it and put on the timing marks and it won't start
If it ran before you did that then recheck wha tyou did. You may have tthe dist off or it may not have beenon number 1 when you lined up the marks.
PURPLEPIANO
  • 1988 FORD RANGER
I bought some gas with water in it. I found this out when my truck would not start. Replaced the fuel filter and added water remover to the gas tank, It would run but was very rough. The tank finally needed to be refilled so I put a tank of premium in it. Fifty miles later, then truck stalled and died while going uphill on a freeway. Once home, I changed the cap and rotor, spark plugs and wires, and the positive cable to the battery terminal. Sounds like it wants to start but does not quite get there. Anything else I can check before the mechanic comes here tomorrow?
Scan for codes and check fuel pressure with a gauge, probably a bad pump not giving enough pressure.
https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-fuel-system-pressure-and-regulator
RENEE
Hi PURPLEPIANO,

Here is a link to an article that features written step by step instructions and pictures explaining how to do the scan yourself, also I have included a link to our YouTube channel with a how to video on code scanning. Most scanners are inexpensive to purchase, you can purchase one online from sites like Amazon.com

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/checking-a-service-engine-soon-or-check-engine-light-on-or-flashing

https://youtu.be/YV3TRZwer8k

Once you have the codes please get back to us so that we can further assist you. We are always happy to help.

Thank you for visiting 2CarPros.com.

Kindest regards,

Renee
Admin
PURPLEPIANO
Thanks so much. The mechanic came out, and the trouble was really corroded cables. He cleaned them up easily, and now the truck is running again.