TRUCK WONT START

• Brownie1958
  • 1990 FORD RANGER

Have a 90 ford ranger 2.3 4 cyl that sputtered and lost power then died, will crank but not start. Have power at coil pak, at fuel pump. All fuses have been checked, inertia switch is good, pulled plug wire and got shocked when cranking holding to ground plug. Replaced right side coilpak, fuel relay, ecc relay, ignition control module, ignition switch under dash above steering column, ecm computer, fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator. Rented a fuel pressure tester and no pressure after turning switch on and off 10 times and then cranking engine. Where to go from herealso had timing belt replaced 1.5 years ago

Wednesday, July 4th, 2012 AT 7:05 PM

• ASEMaster6371

Start with compression test.
Check for power to the pump when the key is on. Will only be a 2 second signal. Check the inertia switch as well.

Make sure the fuse for the pump is good as well.

Wednesday, July 4th, 2012 AT 7:15 PM
  • SkidderBooty

Hello brownie1958,
I'm feeling your pain! My '92 ranger 4wd EFI 2.3L 4 banger sputtered, died, and I have yet to be able to restart it. I've done everything you have, checked all the fuses, switched out the inertia switch, swapped parts with another ranger that works fine and nothing. I've got spark, compression, fuel, air and can crank that thing over until the battery is dead and the starter red hot but still nothing. I've been told to invest in a reader and search out codes (Been trying to avoid purchasing a $200 tool to fix a $100 truck but in for a penny.
If you have a eureka moment please share it.
Until then, keep the faith!

Friday, July 27th, 2012 AT 9:45 PM
  • Brownie1958

Found that my truck somehow jumped time, put hand over intake when cranking and blew it off instead of sucking. Reset timing and started right up. OReilly auto has a ford code reader for this OBD 1 for 30$.

+1
Saturday, July 28th, 2012 AT 10:08 PM
  • Cadieman

Will they start with starting fluid?

Saturday, July 28th, 2012 AT 10:19 PM
  • Brownie1958

Mine would not as it was out of time by 8 teeth.

Saturday, July 28th, 2012 AT 10:24 PM
  • SkidderBooty

Dear brownie1958,
You rock! My beast would't start with ether neither. Once I get some coffee in me I'll try your solution. Thanks for the locate of a cheap OBD reader but that would only work if I was one of you lucky Americans with your buffet of auto parts stores ( In the Great White North we seem to prefer paying at least 5 times as much for stuff).
Thanks again!

Sunday, July 29th, 2012 AT 1:40 PM
  • Brownie1958

Lol OK where you from?

Sunday, July 29th, 2012 AT 3:06 PM