Will not turn over

YOITSJUSTME
  • 1997 CHEVROLET
Okay well my truck as always fired right up however about month or so ago it started not firing right up. It would crank a little and the start so I thought maybe it was not getting enough gas so I replaced the fuel filter hoping that would help. It did not. The truck seemed to be running fine when driving down the road but when stopped or in park it was idling rough but never died. Came out of work the other morning to go home and when I tried to start it it cranked a little bit and then backfired and will not turn over at all. Please advise.
Monday, April 10th, 2017 AT 1:20 PM

KEN

Did the engine start to run hot before this problem? It sounds like you may have a blown head gasket and one of your cylinders is now full of coolant, this is why it is not cranking over.

Can this be the problem? if not then lets test the battery

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-battery-load-test

Please run this test and get back to us so we can continue helping you.

Best, Ken

Wednesday, April 12th, 2017 AT 7:02 PM
YOITSJUSTME
Thanks Ken for responding. The answers to your questions are No the engine did not start to run hot. And my battery is good.

Saturday, April 15th, 2017 AT 3:28 PM
KEN
Okay then we need to go over some this which are detailed in this guide.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Look through the entire guide to see which step you should stat at.

Please let us know what happens.

Best, Ken

Monday, April 17th, 2017 AT 2:06 PM
YOITSJUSTME
Ok I am really at my wits end on this. I first had a code scanner put on the truck and at that point it brought back the code for the Cam Position Sensor. So I replaced that only to have the same outcome (crank but not starting) I have never in all my years of driving and repairing my Chevy trucks have I had any issue like this. A mechanic had looked at it and told me it was the timing chain. I proceeded to putting in a new timing chain, I replaced the water pump and the thermostat since I had to pull the pump off to get to the timing chain and had never had to replace since I have owned the truck. I also put in new plugs and wires. New rotor and distributor cap/ I have replaced the crank position sensor, the coil, the ignition control module. Just about everything is new and as far as the engine cranking I can tell the difference with the new timing chain. However it still will not start. For some reason I cannot figure out for the life of me why it is not getting the spark that it needs to start. Reslly running out of time here got to start my new job this Sunday so I hope that all this will tell you all exactly what the issue is. Thanks for all your time.

Frustrated me.
Tuesday, May 9th, 2017 AT 6:09 PM
KEN
So the engine is cranking over but you are not getting spark at the plugs right?
+1
Wednesday, May 10th, 2017 AT 2:52 PM
YOITSJUSTME
Yes that is correct.
Sunday, May 14th, 2017 AT 3:48 AM
KEN
Okay, lets check to see if the system has power there are some fuses that need to be checked first, Here is a guide and some diagrams to help you find the problem.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-test-light-circuit-tester

You are looking for power at the injectors with the key on. This will tell us if the computer is powered up.

Please run some tests and get back to us so we can continue helping you.

Cheers, Ken
Tuesday, May 16th, 2017 AT 11:36 AM