Over drive not working so can't drive in 4th gear and now can't drive in 3rd gear either

SAVANNAHSULWER
  • 2005 FORD CROWN VICTORIA
It started with loosing 4th and feeling as though in neutral so I turned off overdrive and was able to catch the lower gears and limp home going 40-50 without it reving to much. But whenever overdrive is on it goes into neutral over 25 mph unless O/D is off I can go faster but I know it can't be good. Just bought this car. 2 for 2 with both vehicles we bought hoping for a vehicle with a little bigger engine that could make it up the mountains with ease. Fluid smells spent. I want to change it but don't know if its pointless and I'll need to change the transmission. 14 qts is a lot of wasted mercon transfluid plus filter, but if it could fix it that would be great because I know transmissions shift with pressure changes or something and with spent fluid that may be it. I'm thinking the upper solenoids could be bad or gummed up but I don't know anything about transmissions (yet) thanks
We're stuck at my moms until we can get one of these fixed and can't afford a shop but have enough tools to drop and take the transmission apart or swap, but figure it could be something simpler. Thanks thanks thanks
Thursday, March 20th, 2014 AT 7:43 PM

It's probably pointless to change fluid, have a trans guy scan for codes and check it sounds like it needs a rebuild.
-1
Friday, March 21st, 2014 AT 7:09 AM
SAVANNAHSULWER
When you say "rebuild" what does that entail? I think its electrical because when I turn off Over Drive it allows me to drive over 25 verse with overdrive on it goes into neutral at 25. Most vehicles after 1999 have electronic controlled shift solenoids that are easier to change than the mechanical features of before and its likely the solenoids that cost less than a 100 a piece and may not even require dropping the transmission depending on what gear(s) need new ones, but then again without an expert opinion I don't want to waste money I don't have into something that may not work. A good expert will know from the signs what it actually is so I can figure what it will cost.
+1
Friday, March 21st, 2014 AT 10:31 AM
Rebuild or overhaul of transmission, even if you are not putting it in overdrive and it lets you go over 25 it still may be two clutches applying when it is only supposed to be on. Yes if cold be electrical but it needs to be scanned. Besides it may not be a solenoid it could be a failed converter etc. That is why I said to go to a trans guy they deal with all the time while most mechanics deal with the rest of the car.
-2
Friday, March 21st, 2014 AT 10:38 AM