TRANSMISSION IS ACTING FUNNY

1987 Ford Crown Victoria

layneed

April, 18, 2012 AT 8:02 PM

So, I'm driving on the interstate, tried to downshift (automatic) and I see a cloud of smoke in the rear view, and my check engine light comes on. So I pull over, pop the hood. It's smoking from the left side near the firewall, but I can't pinpoint the location. I also noticed the overflow tank had overflowed over, meaning to me, it's boiling, got too hot, but why is my question. Now, I wait for about 40 minutes to start it up again, and it tries to turn over, but it won't. I try 5-6 times, and still a no go. I try to start it in neutral. It turns over. So I put it in D, and it feels like I had a clutch and I tried to pull off in second. I drive home, a little over 100 miles to go from that point, doing around 60. I think it never went out of 3rd. Every time I stop, it stalls. Still doesn't start in park. But I made it home safely. So I'm hoping you guys might have a thought on if it's a problem I can fix myself, or I need to replace/rebuild the tranny. Thanks.

fixitmr

April, 18, 2012 AT 8:50 PM

Sounds like you were going in limp mode. Could start with new transmission SN switch and see how that helps.

way2old

April, 18, 2012 AT 11:06 PM

You probably have ruined the transmission if you did what you stated. Driving for 100 miles with a transmission that is not shifting properly along with the loss of coolant would have destroyed the transmission. It is a wonder ther engine did not lock up due to loss of coolant.

layneed

April, 18, 2012 AT 11:23 PM

So, I'm trying to find the SN switch that you stated, But I'm having difficulty locating it on the autozone website. Does it go by a different part name perhaps?

And the coolant only spilled over due to the over heating. I opened the radiator once I got off the interstate and filled it the rest of the way. Didn't lose much. Maybe 8-10 ounces.

layneed

April, 20, 2012 AT 4:40 AM

Fixitmr, anything?

fixitmr

April, 21, 2012 AT 3:59 AM

Range select switch? Safety neutral switch? Companies have fun with names.

Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Pulling an Auto Trans? Easy Instructions
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma