1992 Oldsmobile Ciera engine stalls will restart only afte

STARTREK512
  • 1992 OLDSMOBILE CIERA
Cuts off while driving or at idle with no warning. Will not restart till cools off 20-30 min

Trying to help out an old cripple guy. I am a mechanic but old and not too up on new stuff.
Changed the Ign control module. Changed the computer, changed the fuel filter. Scanner shows no error codes.
has no spark when shut down.
does not run hot
crank shaft sensor? Procedure to change?
Computor did not come with a POM?
could the old one be bad?
does the throttle body control the spark?
Thursday, August 5th, 2010 AT 4:28 PM

JACK42
92 is most likely a 3.8 liter engine which were known to have issues with the crank angle sensor. You will have to remove the harmonic balancer to change it out, bu this is most likely the problem if you have already changed the ignition control module which they also had problems with, both of which acted up when hot
Thursday, August 5th, 2010 AT 8:45 PM
STARTREK512
It has the 3300 engine.
I looked at the balancer and don't see the regular threaded holes to remove it. Can you expand on the procedure to remove and replace the balancer and sensor.

Does the throttle body have any control over the spark?

What about that old chip I had to use in the computer? Is it ever intermittent bad or just bad/ good. What does it do? And why does it not come with the rebuilt unit?

Thanks, Joey
Friday, August 6th, 2010 AT 6:01 AM
JACK42
The 3.3 still has a crank sensor that can go bad. It takes a wide puller or if you can get behind it on both sides with pry bars you can work it off, it isnt press fitted, the bolt holds it on. The throttle body doesnt control spark, and wont cause a loss of spark. Since this is temp related im still thinking a crank/cam sensor, but without any codes it is kind of a crap shoot, which is the problem with fuel injected cars when they dont see the failure. The PROM chips rarely fail, they are a programmed chip, not an actual working processor, so they are commonly swapped over to new PCMs, on rare occasions the dealer will have updated PROMs but it is very rare
Friday, August 6th, 2010 AT 8:16 AM
STARTREK512
Jack,

Have you ever had one of these off yourself?

I have a puller on it and it is really under a lot of pressure. I am afraid I am going to damage the balancer / pull the outer ring off if I continue.

How will I set the.30 air gap if the balancer is off?
The new one says leave the balancer in place.

It looks ike there is a dust shield with three slotted holes on the front of the balancer that might come off.

What say u?
Friday, August 6th, 2010 AT 10:34 AM
JACK42
Ok, then you can pop off the dust cover, Once off you will see the crank sensor. You may have to rotate the crank to find a large enough gap in the trigger wheel to remove the crank sensor. You can then instal lit and carefully rotate the wheel so you can tighten it down with the air gap set
Friday, August 6th, 2010 AT 6:41 PM
REMOVE OR DISCONNECT

Negative battery cable.
Serpentine belt from crankshaft pulley.
Raise vehicle on hoist.
Right front tire and wheel assembly.
Right inner fender access cover.
Using 28 mm socket, remove crankshaft harmonic balancer retaining bolt.
Crankshaft harmonic balancer using tool J 38197 or equivalent.
Sensor electrical connector.
Foreign object deflector (do not use a pry bar).
Sensor and pedestal from block face.
Sensor from pedestal.
INSTALL OR CONNECT

Loosely install crankshaft sensor on pedestal.
Position sensor with pedestal attached on special Tool J 37089.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_c1_7.gif

Crankshaft Sensor Positioning

Position special tool on crankshaft.
Bolts to hold pedestal to block, face torque to 25-35 Nm (18-26 lb. ft.).
Torque pedestal pinch bolt to 3-5 Nm (26-44 lb. in.).
Remove special Tool J 37089.
Foreign object deflector.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_c2_6.gif

Special Tool; Assembly

Place special Tool J 37089 on harmonic balancer and turn. If any vane of the harmonic balancer touches the tool, replace the balancer assembly.
Balancer on crankshaft.
Torque crankshaft bolt to 140 Nm + 56 (104 lb. ft. + 56 ).
Inner fender shield.
Tire and wheel assembly. Torque lug nuts to 140 Nm (100 lb. ft.).
Lower vehicle.
Serpentine belt.
Negative battery cable.
Sunday, August 8th, 2010 AT 2:57 PM
STARTREK512
Remove the two bolts holding the dust shield over the bottom of the flywheel and remove the dust shield. Use a H/D brake spoon or other suitable tool tio wedge the teeth on the flywheel against the bell housing. (It helps to put a floor jack under the spoon to hold it in place). Loosten the crank bolt all but a few threads. There are three threaded holes in the balancer. DO NOT USE A JAWED PULLER ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE BALANCER AND FORGET ABOUT PRYING IT OFF (Deep below the three slots that are on the front) push against the crank bolt with the puller and remove the balancer. The sensor is held in place by one small bolt thet squeezes two arms together.(I do not think you will find the special tool)
take the new sensor and a roll of masking tape and layer both sides of the inner ring till the sensor will just slide on the tape. Align the crank so that the taped portion is lined up to the sensor and carefully install the balancer while lining up the slot in the sensor with the tape. Once lined up tighten the sensor bolt, locking it in position. Remove the balancer and take the tape off. Inatall the balancer and torque while holding the flywheel as described. Reverse the rest of the instructions.
Sunday, August 8th, 2010 AT 10:06 PM

Related Engine Stall While Driving Content