1992 CIERA CUTLASS WONT START AFTER TURNING CAR OFF

• madhug00
  • 1992 Oldsmobile Ciera

After ddriving for awhile, then turning tha car off it wont start back up unless I let it sit for 30-45 mins.

Sunday, October 9th, 2011 AT 3:24 PM

• JDL

When the problem occurs, if it cranks good but won't start, have a helper crank it, while you visually check for spark at the plugs. If you have spark everywhere, use a gage and check fuel pressure.

If you have good spark and good fuel pressure spec, Then use a noid lite and check for injector pulse. Any applicable trouble codes? You should be able to check those yourself.

Sunday, October 9th, 2011 AT 6:25 PM
  • madhug00

I've scanned it and codes 12, 22, 43 popped up

Monday, October 10th, 2011 AT 8:21 PM
  • JDL

What is the litre size of engine? Did you check for spark at the plugs? To check for spark, you take a plug wire loose from spark plug, use a spark tester or known good spark plug in the boot, ground/touch metal part of tester to metal part of engine, engine cranking, watch for spark.

The code doesn't tell you what to replace, only that the system thinks there is a problem on that circuit, somewhere.

Code 12 usually means your in diagnostic mode, normal. Code 22 has to do with your throttle position sensor. Code 43 is esc error/ electronic spark control. I can't tell how old the codes may be?

Monday, October 10th, 2011 AT 9:19 PM
  • madhug00

The motor size is an 3.3L, haven't had a chance to check for sparks yet, but I've recently changes the throttle position sensor.

Monday, October 10th, 2011 AT 10:49 PM
  • JDL

Let us know what you find.

Saturday, October 15th, 2011 AT 11:23 PM