1995 Oldsmobile Ciera Stalls when braking

FASTFINGEREDFOOL
  • 1995 OLDSMOBILE CIERA
1995 Oldsmobile Ciera 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 177k miles

The car has begun to stall and shut off when stopping (such as red lights). At first it only did it when hard braking, but now it does it even on easier stops. Engine does not seem to run as smooth as it did before. Slightly less power also. The "check engine" light does come on a few seconds before it happens, but it goes out when restarting- it doesn't stay on long enough to try a scanner on it (like Autozone offers for free).
Have already replaced plugs and wires, fuel filter, and air filter. Good fuel is being used.
Any suggestions on what I can try next?
Wednesday, August 18th, 2010 AT 10:38 AM

DOCFIXIT
Hi
When in park engine idling when brake is applied does it stall or start to idle rough? is brake operation normal?
Find ALDL under dash Jumper from TERM A to B see diagram

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/198357_Graphic_572.jpg

paper clip works good. key on but not to run MIL will flash so flash pause flash,flash = 12 post codes
Let me know
Thanks for donate
Wednesday, August 18th, 2010 AT 1:49 PM
FASTFINGEREDFOOL
It seems to run a little rough when in park and brakes are applied, but it will run a little rough regardless. It doesn't stall though- only does that when slowing down or at a stop without going into park. Brake operation is normal. Up until a couple weeks ago, this car ran very smoothly despite the high miles.

If this was a carburated engine, I would probably just increase the idling speed a little (the good old days!). As far as the codes go, on this car the diagnostic hook-up is slightly different than what you posted- there appears to be connectors only at the "A", "C", and "M" positions. If you can let me know which ones to connect the jumper to, I will try it and get back to you.

Thank you for your help.

Steve
-1
Thursday, August 19th, 2010 AT 12:21 PM
FASTFINGEREDFOOL
After doing some internet search homework, I noticed the same part kept coming up for similar situations- the IAC motor. I replaced that and the car ran fine for a little while.

Now it is stalling even more frequently, and will do it while coasting such as going down small hills. Living in western PA, this is a problem. It usually won't stay running after restarting unless foot is on the gas. It seems to do this only after the car has reached proper running temperature- if I stop and it cools down a little, I'll be fine for awhile. The check engine light comes on a few seconds before it stalls and it will run rough when it is on.

The check engine light stays on a little longer than it did before, but Autozone and Advance in my town doesn't have a code checker for cars '95 and older to run a diagnostic.

The car runs excellent before this happens also. Since changing the IAC motor, it runs much smoother than before.

Please let me know how I can check the trouble codes, and I will reply. I need to get the problem fixed soon- the company I work for can fire without hesitation if one day is missed and we are a one-car family!

Thank you for any help,

Steve
Monday, August 23rd, 2010 AT 10:02 AM
DOCFIXIT
As for codes was hoping car waqs not a crossover to OBDII only can read codes with TECH 1 and that would be the dealer. Likely causes MAF try cleaning with a spray MAF cleaner also Crankshaft sensor tend to fail when engine heated up located on left side crankshaft pully. If you have a DVOM meter can tell you how to check
Monday, August 23rd, 2010 AT 11:35 AM