• MurphmanTN
  • 1997 Lincoln Town Car

1997 Lincoln Town Car Signature, 145,000 miles, 4.6.

Last summer I had my A/C recharged and checked, and it worked fine for 3 or 4 months, and then the A/C stopped working and it would only blow heat, which I am unable to regulate. It blows straight heat, I can adjust the fan speed, but not the actual temperature. When I press the vent, defrost, outside temp, buttons it will only blow heat.
Sometimes when my control unit is off, heat will still blow from the floor vents.

I had the AC checked and everything appeared fine, they recommended I replace the cycle switch, which I did. I eventually replaced the HVAC unit, which also did not fix the problem.

I have been told that my "blower is stuck open" but if that were the case, why does it not blow cold air when I turn the AC on?

Is that the correct diagnosis? Or what do you think it would most likely be?

Sunday, April 22nd, 2007 AT 3:37 PM

• Tex

It's probably the blend door actuator. We're having the same problem with our 98 Towncar. The part costs $46 from the Lincoln parts dealer. You can run a system check for a code 24 or 25 that will confirm that you need to replace the blend door actuator.
1) turn car on and stabilize temp; 2) press the "off" and "floor" button at the same time; 3) let go and immediately press "Auto" and release; 4) you will see the LED display doing a segment check for about 20 seconds; all segments wil display simultaneously if no codes are found; 5) press "defrost" to exist the self test.

We had a code 24 show up on ours indicating that the blend door actuator needed replacing. Ford came out with a service bulletin #TSB 98-6-3 concerning this matter.

Hope this helps.

Sunday, April 22nd, 2007 AT 5:19 PM