2000 Kia Sportage wont start

NATOS
  • 2000 KIA SPORTAGE
My kia cranks but won't start. Thought it could be a fuel problem, changed fuel filter and gas was in the line past the filter. It had a studder when it starts and for about the first 2 miles of travel, then it would run fine. Check engine light was on. Now, no check engine light and just won't start. Hooked up diagnostic to plug and got nothing, wouldn't even power the the diagnostic.
Tuesday, July 27th, 2010 AT 1:53 PM

Hi natos, Welcome to 2carpros and TY for the donation

Check engine light coming On

Have the computer scanned for code/s-you have a problem within the engine management system that caused the CEL to turn on-This is your starting point of diagnosis, finding out what's going on-let me know

Or Do below

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, cap and rotor, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it
-1
Tuesday, July 27th, 2010 AT 1:59 PM
NATOS
Is there any way to check if my whole computer is bad?
The fact that the diagnostic wouldn't power up when connected to the plug in the kia has me thinking that it could be electrical.
All my fuses are good.
And is ther a way to test the fuel pump without removing it? The screws holding it in are rusted and I'll have to drill them out to remove the pump.
-2
Tuesday, July 27th, 2010 AT 2:09 PM
You have to bring it in to the dealership to test the computer for the fuel pump -if you can hear it coming on, check the fuel pressure with a gauge to rule it out
-2
Tuesday, July 27th, 2010 AT 4:40 PM