ECM OR FUEL PUMP RELAY?

2001 Honda Civic

BluCivic01

March, 31, 2008 AT 1:42 PM

2001 Honda Civic 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 133000 miles

Ok. So I was cruising along doing 55 and dropped it into 4th gear and that's when it all started. The tach and temp gauge shut off within a minute after starting and the car idles louder at the time it shuts off. Car drinks twice as much gas now. I can only do 10 mph per gear (10mph first gear 20 in second etc.)
I've tried hooking up a diagnostic machine at the dealership and they can't get any connection with the ecm. They charged me 170 bucks to tell me " well. It might be the fuel pump relay or the ecm. Then agian it might be something else" So i'm up poop creek without a paddle here. Any ideas? Oh. And I obviously need to check the F/P relay. Where would this be located? Any help what so ever would be greatly appreciated!

March, 31, 2008 AT 1:57 PM

Do you hear the fuel pump come On if so check the fuel pressure-if not could be a fuse/fuel pump relay or the computer-

If it cranks over and refuses start do below

Get a carb cleaner and spray into the carb or the throttle body on an EFI. Did it start and die? If not disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light.

Fuel pump and Injector/s checks out-start checking the ignition system-power to coil, coil/s itself, distributor pick-up, control module, Cam and Crankshaft sensors.

If both fuel and spark is present-check the valve and ignition timing, this will lead you to problems with compression and valves opening and closing at the wrong time

Replace Your Fuel Pump Relay - Easy Steps
Replace Fuel Pump Relay
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement