FUEL PUMP WENT BAD CHANGED IT NOW RUNS ROUGH NOT DRIVABLE

2001 Honda Civic

coe4669

August, 14, 2011 AT 12:43 PM

Had my 2001 honda civic lx diagnosed at honda dealer with a bad fuel pump and regulator had it changed and now it is not running right it has rough idle and the computer would not pick up any activity at all to do with the sensors. The mechanic seemed to think it was something to do with the ecm. But it seems like fuel pressure any ideas? I had new keys made and programmed to car a while back at honda would the ecm have anything to do with it or is there someway to reset the pump

August, 14, 2011 AT 12:52 PM

Check for bad fuses and try resetting the ECM by disconnecting the battery negative terminals for a few minutes.

coe4669

August, 14, 2011 AT 1:12 PM

The car ran fine before the pump and regulator was changed the car surged a little when accelerator was pushed. Now it wont idle good unless he squirts a little gas in then it clears up. Didn't know if I got a bad pump or not. I don't think he has unhooked the battery since the new pump has been put in. Could that cause it to run rough?

August, 14, 2011 AT 1:17 PM

Yes, low fuel pressure can cause that. Have the fuel pressure checked. There could be some installation fault resulting in pressure losses.

coe4669

August, 14, 2011 AT 1:31 PM

I was told that their could be ground problems with the pump also. So if the car starts can you rule out problems with the ecm. What would cause him not to be able to trace any sensors through his computer hookup.

August, 14, 2011 AT 1:56 PM

That is the reason I suggested checking the fuses. If the Data Link Connector is not being powered, ascan tool would not be able to connect. A faulty ECM would cause that as well.

You need to go step by step.

infoshredder

September, 19, 2011 AT 5:26 PM

Wow! I have almost the same problem. 2001 Civic EX. My Fuel pump died. Had it replaced, now the car is really rough at idle after it warms up. CEL came on and the codes indicate misfire on all 4 cylinders. I reset the ECM/ECU whatever and it actually got a little better. Put in a new air filter and the problem came back. I'm not sure if that was just a coincidence or not, so I'm going to reset the ECU again.

I'm not sure what to test next.

September, 19, 2011 AT 6:22 PM

Test the fuel pressure. It is possible the fuel pump was not installed correctly.

Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Pressure Test