1994 Honda Accord shifting/tack problem

RWS68
  • 1994 HONDA ACCORD
When I drive down road full throttel the car wont shift into next gear, let up on gas an it will. It sounds like a rev limiter not letting it shift. You can also do this while in park rev up and starts popping like rev limiter is not letting you tac all the way. Checked distributer plugs wires cat, converter fuel pump fuel filter changed trans fluid changed cdi box checked adj. Cable from fuel injection to trans. What could it be. Helpppppp
Friday, August 15th, 2008 AT 8:10 PM

KHLOW2008
Hi rws68,

At what rpm does the engine cuts off when revving it?

How did you adjust the trans throttle pressure cable?
Saturday, August 16th, 2008 AT 11:05 AM
RWS68
4500-5000 red line at 6000
i adjusted all the way down and all the way up but did not see a change. Thanks
Saturday, August 16th, 2008 AT 12:19 PM
KHLOW2008
Hi rws68,

Before the early cutting off happened, did you do any repairs/replacement of the throttle body, Throttle position sensor or ECM? A wrongly adjusted/faulty TPS would cause the problem.

The tran throttle pressure cable is to be adjusted to have exactly no free play and start moving the lever as soon as the accelerator throttle valve starts opening, ie the engine starts revving up.
Saturday, August 16th, 2008 AT 8:11 PM
RWS68
[quote="KHLow2008"]Hi rws68,

Hi KHLow2008,

bought the car as a spare and was not running. Put a new spring in the distriuutor and fired right up. Also someone said it may be temp sensor that it is telling the computer that the temp is at a certain degree? Would try but want to make certain tired of it nickle and dimeing me to death. Also read the computer and flashed #6 it had flashed another code a while back but forgot which. Thanks
Saturday, August 16th, 2008 AT 8:29 PM
KHLOW2008
Hi rws68,

I would not recommend changing anything until the part has been confirmed to be faulty.

DTC was stored but was the CEL showing?

DTC # 6 = Engine Coolant Temperature sensor.

Check the wires and connectors to see if they are properly installed.
Warm up engine to operating temperature, until cooling fans comes on and turn ignition switch off.
Disconnect ECT wire socket and measure the resistance across the 2 ECT terminals. Reading should be between 200 to 400 ohms and if not within range, ECT is faulty.

Btw, am curious about the spring in the distributor. I can't recall the distributor being equipped with any springs.
Saturday, August 16th, 2008 AT 9:21 PM
RWS68
I checked the ect terminals and got nothing. I warmed up the car turned off and checked again and got nothing. The 2 fans come on as soon as I turn the switch on? And the spring. There is a place in the distributor that I replaced a spring in it to get better conn. And it worked? Also the car will load up on gas and is hard to start up a little while after it has run awhile. I figured that the computer was telling it to give more fuel since the sensors were not reading right. Any ideas. Thanks wayne
Friday, August 22nd, 2008 AT 7:07 PM
KHLOW2008
Hi wayne,

Ok, I know what you mean by the spring, it is located at the tip of the ignition coil. If that helps, you need to check the ignition coil condition. It would cause the difficult starting if the sparks are weak. Check if the sparks are bluish and not orange.

ECT is located under the distributor on the cylinder head. Use ohmn meter to test. Test ECT resistance, not wire socket.
Friday, August 22nd, 2008 AT 7:57 PM
RWS68
I didn't test the socket I had tested the 2 prongs on each of the ect. There was no reading cold or warmed up. And the fans come on as soon as you turn on the switch. As for the weak spark I understand what you mean but you can smell the rich smell of gas like it is getting too much. I pulled out in yard to clean and 2 hrs later it spit and sputtered like loaded up on gas.I drove it to work a couple of time and after 8 hrs of sitting it started up spitting and sputtering but always clears up in a couple of minutes. The car always starts up fine when is parked and started the next day. Thanks
Saturday, August 23rd, 2008 AT 9:50 AM
KHLOW2008
Hi wayne,

Too much fuel is being fed through the injectors and a faulty ECT can be the cause.

If the CEL keeps showing an ECT error, I would recommend replacing it first.
Saturday, August 23rd, 2008 AT 8:33 PM