Enigne Overheating

KARWAN2003
  • 2004 GMC ENVOY

Engine Cooling problem
2004 GMC Envoy 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 116k miles

I am having an overheating problem with my truck that started about a month ago, the gauge sometimes reads about 250F with the AC on but when the AC is off it is around 215 -220. I replaced the thermostat, waterpump, coolant temp sensor and the fan clutch and flushed the coolant several times but it is still overheating. There is no coolant loss or coolant oil mix or smoke and there is no performance loss, and it doesn't throw any error codes, could it be a clogged radiator or a blown head gasket, what is the next thing to check, will the dirty transmission oil, that has never been changed, cause engine overheating. The ambient temperature here in Arizona is around 112F.

Saturday, August 29th, 2009 AT 1:18 AM

M-MERKEL@HOTMAIL.COM

My 04 Envoy is doing the same thing. I am in New Mexico and replace everthing as well. 2 weeks in the shop and still it overheats when the ac is on. Could a valve/ head be causing a problem. I read that some removed the head, cleaned and ground the valves and now seems to be ok. Yes I am a women, who does not have a clue about auto repairs, This is getting costly!

Saturday, August 4th, 2012 AT 8:06 PM
2CARPROS KEN

Hey,

This car had a problem with the head gaskets which can be detected by using a chemical test, Here is a guide that will show you how to do it.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/head-gasket-blown-test

Please run this test and get back to us so we can continue helping you.

Best, Ken

Wednesday, December 14th, 2016 AT 6:57 PM
TJBROWN97
  • 2004 GMC ENVOY

2004 GMC Envoy 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 94000 miles

My Envoy has a P0128 code. The engine will run cool sometimes while driving, but when I am sitting still the engine will overheat. Sometimes it will run normal. What is the cause of this?

Tuesday, April 4th, 2017 AT 10:37 AM (Merged)

If it only happens when you are sitting still, chances are the cooling fan isn't working all of the time. Do you hear it turn on when it overheats?

ORINNER
  • 2004 GMC ENVOY

2004 GMC Envoy 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 75000 miles

if my engine was overheated for several minutes by not having the cap on, will it ruin the transmission fluid?

Unless the tranny cooler compartment is leaking internally mixing with the coolant.

JOYJ5
  • 2004 GMC ENVOY

Engine Cooling problem
2004 GMC Envoy 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 97,000 miles

my car overheats after I go about 20-25 miles and I can smell coolant a little bit. When the engine cools, and I check the water level in the radiator, and it still has water. What is causing it to overheat?

Try replacing the thermostat for a start don't work check the water pump and the radiator

-1
SLIM COLEMAN
  • 2004 GMC ENVOY

Hello, my car keeps running hot. I first replaced the thermostat and then it still was running hot so I replaced the water pump. And had radiator flush and still running hot. My car it is not leaking fluid but when it get hot I pour water in the radiator to cool it but no leaks what wrong.

2CARPROS KEN

Hello Slim,

If I understand you correctly you have no leaks but the radiator keeps getting low? If so you might have a blown head gasket, here is a test you can use to see if this is your problem which would make the car over heat.

Best, Ken