Enigne Overheating

KARWAN2003
  • 2004 GMC ENVOY
Engine Cooling problem
2004 GMC Envoy 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 116k miles

I am having an overheating problem with my truck that started about a month ago, the gauge sometimes reads about 250F with the AC on but when the AC is off it is around 215 -220. I replaced the thermostat, waterpump, coolant temp sensor and the fan clutch and flushed the coolant several times but it is still overheating. There is no coolant loss or coolant oil mix or smoke and there is no performance loss, and it doesn't throw any error codes, could it be a clogged radiator or a blown head gasket, what is the next thing to check, will the dirty transmission oil, that has never been changed, cause engine overheating. The ambient temperature here in Arizona is around 112F.
Saturday, August 29th, 2009 AT 1:18 AM

M-MERKEL@HOTMAIL.COM
My 04 Envoy is doing the same thing. I am in New Mexico and replace everthing as well. 2 weeks in the shop and still it overheats when the ac is on. Could a valve/ head be causing a problem. I read that some removed the head, cleaned and ground the valves and now seems to be ok. Yes I am a women, who does not have a clue about auto repairs, This is getting costly!
Saturday, August 4th, 2012 AT 8:06 PM
KEN
Hey,

This car had a problem with the head gaskets which can be detected by using a chemical test, Here is a guide that will show you how to do it.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/head-gasket-blown-test

Please run this test and get back to us so we can continue helping you.

Best, Ken

Wednesday, December 14th, 2016 AT 6:57 PM
TJBROWN97
  • 2004 GMC ENVOY
2004 GMC Envoy 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 94000 miles

My Envoy has a P0128 code. The engine will run cool sometimes while driving, but when I am sitting still the engine will overheat. Sometimes it will run normal. What is the cause of this?
+1
Tuesday, April 4th, 2017 AT 10:37 AM (Merged)
If it only happens when you are sitting still, chances are the cooling fan isn't working all of the time. Do you hear it turn on when it overheats?
+1
ORINNER
  • 2004 GMC ENVOY
2004 GMC Envoy 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 75000 miles

if my engine was overheated for several minutes by not having the cap on, will it ruin the transmission fluid?
Unless the tranny cooler compartment is leaking internally mixing with the coolant.
JOYJ5
  • 2004 GMC ENVOY
Engine Cooling problem
2004 GMC Envoy 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 97,000 miles

my car overheats after I go about 20-25 miles and I can smell coolant a little bit. When the engine cools, and I check the water level in the radiator, and it still has water. What is causing it to overheat?
-1
SLIM COLEMAN
  • 2004 GMC ENVOY
Hello, my car keeps running hot. I first replaced the thermostat and then it still was running hot so I replaced the water pump. And had radiator flush and still running hot. My car it is not leaking fluid but when it get hot I pour water in the radiator to cool it but no leaks what wrong.
KEN
Hello Slim,

If I understand you correctly you have no leaks but the radiator keeps getting low? If so you might have a blown head gasket, here is a test you can use to see if this is your problem which would make the car over heat.

Best, Ken
PATRICK ROBERTSON
I feel like I am going over and over this post, but I am having the same problem and I am not sure where to go next. Car overheated on the way back from Kansas City. I kept pulling over and letting it cool back off before going to the next exit and repeating it over and over again. During this I noticed that the coolant was not leaving the overflow bottle and going back into the engine. Finally on one of my last stops I splashed some water into the engine and I heard a pop and all the fluid from the overflow went into the radiator and the car instantly cooled off and I was able to make it back to the house.

I pulled the codes off my car and found that the fan clutch was under speed. Pulled the fan clutch and the wires were all burned out so while I was in there I replaced the fan clutch and the water pump. If you do one you should do them both, plus when I pulled it the water pump was warped. So drove it for a few days on short trips and when I went to pull my friends car on my trailer to the mechanic the car overheated on the way back. Pulled over waited for it to cool off and then was able to limp it home. Pulled the thermostat and it seems good but I replaced it anyways. Started it up and ran it to get it up to operating temperature and the temp started to rise again and the overflow is still not releasing into the engine.

I am thinking that it could be the radiator but figured I would search online and see any of y all have any ideas. Basically I replaced everything except the radiator itself. All the parts needed to be replaced, minus the thermostat. Anyone have an idea?
Thursday, July 5th, 2018 AT 4:28 PM
KEN
Yes it could be the radiator causing the issue. I would look inside and outside of the radiator fins and cooling tubes for blockage also use a garden hose to blast water in the opposite direction of the air flow to the radiator cooling fins.

Next I would test the engine for a blown head gasket which does not always result in coolant in the engine oil.

Here are two guides to help:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/engine-overheating-or-running-hot

and

Please run down these guides and report back.

Cheers, Ken

Friday, July 6th, 2018 AT 10:06 AM